Chapter 1

"Would you check the mailbox, Emelia?" My mom says, not taking her eyes off of the pan with our dinner.

Of course. The mailbox. Prince Ericson just turned 19, so he's going to have a Selection! I sigh. He is so dreamy.

"Emelia?" 

"Sorry, Mom." I say, snapping back on Earth.

I dash to the mailbox outside of our house. It's big, but not to big. I was from a family of Threes before former-King Maxon and Queen America dissolved the castes. I grab the mail and sat down. My sister's magazines, bills, bills, more bills. . . Ooh! My eyes could not believe it. I got mail!

"Mom! Mom!" I hold up the letter. "It's for the Selection!"

Mom turns her head from the word, 'Selection'. "That is so great, sweetheart!" she pinches my cheek. "You have to enter. You will definitely become the next princess of Illea!"

I live in Likely, which is next to Angeles. The royal family lives in Angeles. "I'll write down the information," I say. "With you."

"Of course," Mom lifts a spoon to my mouth. "It's soup."

"That tastes good!" I exclaim, sipping more of the tasty liquid. "Okay, now I get to fill out the form."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Emelia Sage Whitlock

Age: 18

Height: 5'6

Weight: --------- (Not putting that info, -author of the Throne)

Hair color: Reddish brown

Eye color: Hazel

Skin color: Fair, pale

Facts: I play flute, speak French and Spanish, and know how to cook

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I fold up my paper and place it in a drawer. "Okay, Mom. I'm done."

"Hello, little duck"

I roll my eyes and laugh. That was my dad being, well, a dad. "Hi, Dad."

"Helen, what's for dinner?" My dad says sleepily. He looked like he was still in his late-20s but he's 49.

"Soup. Your favorite." I say, looking at the stove. 

After dinner, I settle into nighttime. Before I go to bed, I love to read books, so I choose a book and place the blanket on my legs. Maybe I'll be part of the Selection. Maybe I'll become an Elite. Maybe I'll become a princess.

Let's not jinx this.