Chapter 1/2 The Hunger Strikes

A week drags by working at the morgue when she realizes no more cadavers are coming in to sate her dietary needs. She has already cleaned out the last remnants of leftovers from the fridge. Maybe this is just one of those rare quiet, peaceful phases currently. Shouldn't she be happy there is less violence going around? She should be, and yet she isn't. Ravi says it's okay, just to stay calm. He is right, she can wait a while longer. She does not want to go grave digging over a two week fluke and she doesn't even give attacking live people a single thought. The hunger is certainly there though.

Another week goes by. She can feel her mental faculties starting to slip. It's getting harder to think and her stomach growling has turned painful. Ravi has some animal brains he has obtained that he tried to give her, but it didn't work out. Satiated next to nothing. Things are starting to get bad, but she works at a morgue for Christ's sake! It should be fine. The only nice thing is she has not had to deal with anybody's personality other than her own for these last few weeks, as it was her and only her.

Yet another week, culminating in 3 weeks, the approximate amount of time it takes for a human to die of starvation, has now gone by and only one cadaver had come in this entire time, and go figure it was completely missing its entire head, which includes the brain. The hunger is worse than ever and her mind is so very clouded. Her movements have become janky and uncoordinated. It's like she is consistently severely sleep deprived. Her roommate, Peyton, is starting to notice.

*BEEP!* *BEEP!* *BEEP!*

Liv smacks her alarm clock. The weekend is over, and it is time for the workweek. She hopes to god there is food this time around. She has stopped thinking about the cadavers as people at this point, it's just food. And she desperately needs some. She is genuinely considering grave robbing, all the many problems with that be damned! Her stomach loudly growls at her as she gets up. She had gotten an amazing amount of sleep last night, and yet still, perpetually tired.

She gets dressed, taking longer than normal and does a shambling walk out into the kitchen. There is no longer a table in the kitchen currently, as being without food apparently makes you considerably quicker to anger, more violent and inhibits your power control. She had gotten a stubbed toe on it, and then proceeded to kick one of the legs so hard it snapped, knocking the table over. So... yeah.

"Welcome back to the land of the living, Liv." Her roommate says from behind her.

"Funny." She groans. She is not in the right headspace to think of a witty comeback. She wishes she was alive. But nope, just another reminder she isn't. Now she is just a stomach, hunger incarnate. And right now, the hunger is particularly bad, consuming her thoughts.

She then chugs an entire container of hot sauce, her throat burning, just so that something, anything, she could taste would be in her stomach in a vain attempt to curb her hunger. It doesn't work.

"Jesus, Liv! Calm down on the hot sauce! Good Lord, you're gonna give yourself heartburn!" She shouts, sounding worried. "What has been with you lately? Shambling around, straight-drinking large amounts of hot sauce, mumbling, walking into things, zoning off into space, clipped one word answers, yesterday I caught you looking at me and drooling! Or that other time where you practically had a panic attack! You even broke the table just a few days ago with the nastiest kick I have ever seen! What is going on Liv?"

Liv can't bear to look at Peyton. She doesn't want to see another one of those vivid hallucinations, like she had a few days ago. She wants to tell her what's been going on but she can't.

"Sleep dep- depi- deppri..." She is having a hard time saying this word. "Lack of sleep maybe?" Liv says unconvincingly.

"I don't believe that for one second! You have been getting great sleep and I know you! Liv would never have trouble with saying something as simple as *deprivation* for example! You won't even look at me!"