Chapter I.

"Each meeting occurs at the precise moment for which it was meant. Usually, when it will have the greatest impact on our lives.".-Nadia Scrieva

2022. 10. 09.

Kaori was glad the rain wasn't pouring anymore during the time they set up the podium, and most of the teams were beginning to celebrate, not that she had any place in the latter.

Alpha Tauri hadn't earned any points, and nowadays, she has lost any passion for cheering for any team except for her brother's.

It was one of her worse days, so using her cane and holding an umbrella at once would have made her time even more unpleasant.

She rightfully despised rain from the moment her school friend Yumi's father's car slipped in the heavy downpour, breaking not only her left leg and spine into a dozen pieces but her dreams regarding her future in motorsport as well. Later she was told that Yumi died instantly, for which she couldn't forgive herself and neither could her father, as she heard.

After she spent most of her teenage years in hospital rooms smelling of disinfectant and misery, she lost every bit of passion and joy for car racing in any form.
Regaining her mobility for good was like crossing a bridge whose end was slowly disappearing into the distance while her brother was slowly but steadily climbing the podiums to crave his name into the history books as the first formula one driver born in the 21st century.

Kaori didn't like to think about those times, even now when her mental health wasn't only hanging by a brilliant thread woven from her passion for art. Being bedridden for so long made her discover the craft of creating magic with only a brush and canvas; her future was no longer filled with wheels and speed; no, her dreams were constellations of colors and shapes from that moment.

A boyish smile spread on Yuki's face as she made her way to the paddock with the clear intention of offering him a hug.

"I am proud of you, little brother, you know that right?" She whispered as she ruffled up his hair. She knew how emotionally draining races could be, not to mention the intense weather conditions. "Did Okaa-san call you about next Friday? I know being here for a week isn't in your power, but I was hoping you could fly back for the opening ceremony."

Her work wasn't all in vain after all; a modern hall in the Aoyama area had been filled with her paintings and was ready to open its gates. The success of her paintings was both intoxicating and terrifying at the same time.

"I will do what I can in the matter, but you know I can't promise anything, Nee." His eyes were full of uncertainty, and no matter how much she loved her brother's ability to wear his heart on his sleeves, sometimes making empty promises would have been better than facing the truth. She realized from an early age that white lies were sometimes exactly what a person needed.

"It's not like it's exciting to listen to every little meaningless detail about shades, styles, and expression. But since the grid is stealing you from your sister, it's only fair that you make them buy something. I am sure they don't have to tax paintings in Monaco." She managed to crack a joke, grinning as Yuki smiled at her. "I will do nothing but promote your pictures for the rest of my life."

"I hope they won't be needed to make my business work." It was just part of a lie; she got several deals on her earlier pieces, but selling from her flat and running a reputed gallery were far away from each other. "I will grab something at the cafeteria and head back to my hotel."

"So early? You could come with me to dinner; I am sure Pierre would be happy to entertain you. She flashed a smile at him. "I still have to oversee tons of adjustments at home; maybe next time."
Kaori didn't want to make him worry, but her leg was more difficult than usual and she desired nothing but a warm bath and hopefully deep sleep, and she knew her brother had no issue with fooling around with his teammate alone as well. " Also I have absolutely no doubt you guys won't leave any food left."