Chapter One

Layli sighed, her brown eyes examining the computer screen in front of her as her fingers tapped upon the keyboard. She was eight hours into her eleven hour shift at her standard, administration job, and eight hours into losing the will to live. Everyday was the same. Same old people, same old conversations, same old scenery, same old Layli. At twenty-one years old, it was undeniable she wanted more. She paused from her work momentarily, resting her eyes to gaze out the window to the right of her. Raindrops were falling from the dusky grey sky, passers by rushing under hoods and umbrellas, puddles forming on the floor just beneath the window.
"Layli, do you want anything from the shop?" Malia leant on the door frame at the entrance on the office, zipping her black coat up.
"I'll come with you," Layli quickly told her best friend, sliding her chair out from under the desk and reaching for her scarf. She needed to get out of the bleakness of that room.

But, as they reached the outside world, Lydia realised it wasn't the room that was the problem. It was the whole place. The hometown she'd lived in as long as she could remember, that held so many memories for her, and not all good. The familiarity was draining. She was tired.

"I need to get out," Layli told the blonde to her left as they stepped past puddles to the nearest shop.
"You are out?! You've only got a couple of hours left, then we're closed for a week for that redecoration thing!" Mali smiled, thinking about the wonderful plans she had for the week ahead. Despite being best friends, soul mates in platonic form, they were very different. Mali was a beautiful, bright eyed blonde, like a porcelain doll. She had recently found love and ever since, had been on top of the world. Layli, however, had recently lost love. Living alone in the absence of a cheating ex, constantly doubting herself and hating everything about her - her scraggly black hair, average brown eyes and insignificant figure.
"No, I mean out out. Out of this town, out of this country, out of this weather and these memories," Layli explained, trying not too sound too miserable, but struggling to hold in a weak tear.
"Is this about Ryan?" Malia sympathetically asked with a raised eyebrow, stopping in her tracks and turning to her best friend. Layli halted opposite her, her eyes watching the droplets bounce off the concrete floor. She nodded slowly.
"Not just him, though. Life is worth so much more than this, I think I just need a change," Layli shrugged.
The girls stood in silence for a moment, both deep in thought.
"Come with me then," Malia held her wrists, almost pleading.
"What?" Layli lifted her eyes to look to her, her heart warmed at her happy expression.
"I'm going to Ibiza tomorrow for the week. Lou's working out there for the summer so I'm staying with him. I'm sure he won't mind you staying too!" Mali exclaimed, excited by the prospect.
"Are you serious?!" Layli couldn't help but smile.
"Deadly. You need a break, what better place than the sunny Spanish island?! I bet we could find you a nice guy out there too," Malia winked, nudging her best friend. Layli smirked, her eyes lighting at the thought of change, sunshine, sea air and friends around her.
"I'm in, but are you sure Louis won't mind?" She asked.
"Course he won't, he's been trying to meet you for ages. He's living with his friend for the summer, think they're both working together over there. I'll check with him tonight, but I'm certain it'll be okay!" Mali assured Layli. She smiled, hugging her best friend in excitement.
"Right, let's get today over, and let's look forward to the week ahead!"