Chapter 1: Meet Lynda

As consciousness slowly returned, I was engulfed in darkness. The air was thick and stale, and a complete lack of sensation left my mind struggling to make sense of the surroundings. The silence was deafening, and the stillness was unsettling.

But it wasn't just the lack of sensory input that troubled me. I couldn't move. Not a muscle. It was as though I was paralyzed, trapped in this dark void.

As the realization of the situation began to sink in, panic slowly took hold. A wave of fear washed over my mind, and my heart began to race. It was now evident that there was no easy way out of this nightmare. My mind and body were both trapped, lost in an unknown void.

With no other choice but to fight for survival, I searched for a way out. I listened intently for any sound, strained to detect even the faintest hint of light, and searched for any clues that might lead to an escape. But there was nothing.

As the despair mounted, I began to succumb to the darkness. The hopelessness of the situation grew unbearable, and I felt completely helpless. The realization that this could be an eternal prison was devastating, and tears streamed down my face.

In this strange, lifeless void, I felt abandoned, hopeless, and utterly distraught. It would take all my strength to keep fighting, to keep searching for a way out of this impenetrable darkness.

Two days before...

An alarm blares, signaling the start of a morning talk show.

"Good morning, Lunarfalls!" exclaims the cheerful host. "It's 7:00 am on this beautiful Monday morning, and I'm your host, Sarah Gene, bringing you the latest current events and weather updates!" The excitement in her voice is palpable.

As the host begins her monologue, a woman sluggishly crawls out of bed and trudges towards the bathroom. While sitting on the toilet, she pulls out her phone and opens a dating app. Upon seeing the 274 messages she has yet to respond to, she checks her profile for any errors.

Her profile reads:

Lynda M
5'5"
Blue-eyed
Blonde-haired
White
Bio: Successful real estate agent at Lunarfalls Home Reality. Will not settle for a man who is not equally accomplished in his career.

Lynda scrutinizes her profile for any potential flaws, studying each image carefully. Satisfied with her assessment, she gets up and gazes at herself in the mirror.

As she stares at her reflection, Lynda's porcelain skin emits a warm, almost ethereal glow. Her large, blue eyes resemble the peaceful sea under a starry night sky, and her full lips curve in a pensive expression. Her long, wavy blonde hair flows gently over her shoulders, completing her flawless appearance.

Lynda heads to her kitchen and begins rummaging through her fridge, grabbing a variety of fresh fruits. As she sets them on the counter, she starts playing her voicemails.

The first message is from Peggy, sounding bored and monotonous. "Hello Lynda, it's Peggy. We've decided to view the house you sent us on Friday. Can you please call me to schedule a time?"

Lynda nods and quickly jots down a note on a nearby pad before returning to her smoothie-making routine. She carefully slices the fruit and tosses it into the blender with some Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Satisfied with her breakfast, she pours the smoothie into a glass and takes a sip, relishing in the sweet, refreshing taste.

As she moves on to the next voicemail, a deep voice crackles through the speaker. "Hi there, Lynda. The lake house on Midway has decided to work with me instead. With the generous 1% discount I gave them, that means one less sale for you and one more reason for me to snag that promotion." The man's voice is laced with a hint of laughter as the message comes to an end.