1

Inna sat at the dinner table, watching her siblings bicker and laugh with each other. Her mother served them their favorite dishes, smiling and praising their accomplishments. Inna’s eyes lingered on her mother for a moment, hoping for even a small bit of recognition, but her mother’s attention was solely on her siblings.

“Mom, can you pass me the rice?” Inna asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Her mother turned to her, an impatient expression on her face. “Can’t you see I’m busy serving your siblings?”

Inna’s heart sank, and she looked down at her plate, feeling small and insignificant. Her siblings continued their conversation, oblivious to her existence. It wasn’t the first time Inna felt like an outsider in her own family, but the hurt never lessened.

As the dinner ended, her siblings scattered to their rooms, leaving Inna to clear the table. Her mother patted her on the back and said, “Good job, Inna. You’re such a big help.”

Inna forced a smile, knowing that her mother’s praise was merely a formality. She longed for the warmth and affection that her siblings received effortlessly. She cleared the dishes and retreated to her room, closing the door behind her.

As she sat on her bed, she thought about her dreams. She wanted to become a successful businesswoman and prove to her family that she was capable of achieving greatness. She didn’t want to live the life that was expected of her, marrying a man of her parents’ choosing and living a life that was predetermined for her. She wanted to live on her own terms, make her own choices, and be her own person.

But how could she do that when her family didn’t believe in her? When her own mother only saw her as a burden, someone to be reprimanded and overlooked?

Inna wiped away a tear, trying to push away the feeling of hopelessness that crept up on her. She knew she had to keep pushing forward, despite the obstacles that stood in her way. She couldn’t let their lack of faith in her dictate her future.

Taking a deep breath, she picked up a book and started reading, hoping to escape into the world of fiction and forget about her own reality, at least for a little while.