Part III

"Five inches!" Vaughn exclaimed with excitement, Scarlet held a pitiful smile for Elizabeth, her face stiffened and eyes bulging from the lack of oxygen.

"My lady, I don't think she can go further than this," Scarlet suggested, holding onto the back strings of the white corset.

"I honestly can not," Elizabeth squeaked.

Vaughn gave them both a roll of her eyes, realizing that not everyone could match to her waistline. She once broke a rib trying to tighten her waist for it. It was worth the hour glassed figure it gave her, so if she had to break another rib, she would, for the sake of beauty.

"Alright, fine," before the last word escaped her, Scarlet released the strings, cuing the deep sigh escaping Elizabeth.

"Ladies, are you all done? The carriage is waiting outside," Luke's voice broke from the back of the bedroom door.

Vaughn gritted her teeth anxiously and grabbed the wide crinoline from across the room, putting it around Elizabeth's waist.

"Almost. Just ten more minutes! Tell the coachman to wait, will you? You must never rush a lady!" Vaughn exclaimed as Scarlet reached for the green gown dress. Elizabeth pulled her arms through.

Muffled curses and groans escaped Luke, followed by his footsteps which suggested he was leaving.

Vaughn stared at the thick brown hair over Elizabeth's head. What to do with it. What to do with it.

"Here!" Vaughn exclaimed to herself, running over to a hanger and grabbing a pink summer hat before throwing it over her head. She looked even worse.

"Can I not just let it down?" Elizabeth grinned awkwardly.

"No, no. It looks messy. It needs to be straightened."

"But is there much time for that?" Scarlet suggested.

"Straighten my hair? I love it this way," Elizabeth frowned miserably.

"Okay maybe we shall just tie it up, how about that?" Vaughn grabbed a white ribbon from her dressing table before lifting the thick hair up in despair, finally able to put the strands up together after five minutes of struggle from both her and Scarlet.

A few green and white ornaments were placed on her head, followed by a necklace consisting of only one expensive pearl. "Er, no, absolutely not. I can not accept this," Elizabeth walked back from Vaughn.

"But Elizabeth, one can not wear a rococo gown without a form of jewelry on her chest. And look, it will go so splendid with your complexion," she tried to explain.

"But it is so expensive,"  she stated. "What if something happens to it?"

"Unless you tell me you have a necklace fit for your dressing, I will not let you have this."

Elizabeth owned no necklace.

Silence fell in the room, giving Vaughn her answer. She smiled and walked towards the young lady, standing behind her and resting the necklace on her chest. Elizabeth looked sumptuous. Vaughn was right, the gold went well with her skin.

For final touches, powder was thrown onto her face, brown nude lipstick had been applied to her thick round lips. They felt heavier. "I feel like a jester," she murmured to herself.

"You look splendid," Scarlet stared at her, a hand over her mouth in astonishment.

"I think you should come over here instead," Vaughn grinned, walking Elizabeth over to the seven foot mirror across the room.