Chapter 1: Starting From Zero

September, 2016

Japan, Kyoto

Inside of a room covered in talismans were three people. One of these people was a bald, elderly man with a goatee and thick eyebrows who wore a white robe tucked into purple pants.

Another one of these people was a blonde short haired teenager with a natural black zig-zag shaped streak on the side fringe of his hair, resembling a lightning bolt. He wore a navy blue asymmetrical jacket under a short gray cloak, matching blue pants, dark brown shoes, and a pair of blue tinted visors over his eyes. He had a black Obi around his waist that held a katana.

The final person inside this room had the most bizarre and inhuman appearance out of the three. While his body looked like one of a normal teenager, his face was an entirely different story.

His head looked like that of a black bird, his mouth was a yellow beak, and his eyes were thin and red. He wore a black cloak that covered his body up to his shins and knee-high black boots.

The old man looked angrily at the blonde teen, who was standing in front of the guy with bird head with his right hand over the hilt of his katana.

"Denki Kaminari, I am warning you for the last time. If you do not move out of the way this instant, I will be forced to have you executed as well."

The blonde haired teen named Denki shook his head, a determined expression crossed his face.

"Tokoyami did nothing wrong! I'm not going to let you kill him for something he has no control over!"

The bird-headed teenager, Tokoyami, looked at the back of Denki's head, stunned by the blonde's declaration.

'Kaminari... you are incredibly kind, and would do anything for your friends,' Tokoyami concluded in his head. 'It's both your greatest weakness, as well as your greatest strength.'

--------------------------------------------------------

August, 2014

Japan, Tokyo

Inside of a tatami room was a thirteen year old Denki Kaminari, clad in black sweatpants and a white t-shirt, who was currently using a kendo sword to block and defend from someone attacking him with their own kendo sword.

The person attacking Denki was a tall, pale-skinned man with black eyes and long black hair tied into a low bun, clad in a long-sleeved black shirt and matching black sweatpants.

"Focus," the man instructed. "Try to find an opening and then attack me."

"Got it!," Denki responded as he tried looking for a part of the pale man's body that he could attack.

His eyes frantically looked for a part of the man's body that he could attack. Denki then noticed that the man's legs were unguarded and smirked confidently.

'Gotcha!,' Denki thought as he parried the pale man's incoming attack before aiming for his legs.

Just as Denki was about to land the attack, the pale man quickly blocked the attack, catching him off guard. He then thrusted his kendo sword into Denki's stomach, causing Denki to fall over in pain.

The man walked over to Denki and pointed his kendo sword toward the blonde teen.

"I thought I told you to focus," the pale man chastised.

"That wasn't fair, Shota," Denki complained, sitting up while gasping for air. "I thought you said we couldn't read each other's Ki."

"I didn't read your Ki," the pale man known as Shota revealed. "You were looking at my legs for too long, so the only logical reason for that was that you were trying to knock me over."