If It All Ended Tommorow

"Time runnin' out ain't no one you can borrow. So many paths, which one you gonna follow? What would you do if it all ended tomorrow?"

~¥~

Destiny stood behind Natasha, reading over the accords while the rest of the group squabbled over them.

'• Enhanced individuals that sign the Accords must register with the UN and provide fingerprints and DNA samples;
• Those with secret identities must reveal their legal names and true identities to the UN;
• Individuals are subject to a power analysis and must wear tracking bracelets if they have powers;
• Enhanced individuals that sign the Accords are
prohibited from taking action in any country besides their own unless approved by their home government or the UN;
• Enhanced individuals that do not sign are not allowed to participate in any police, military, or espionage activities or in any national or international conflicts;
• Enhanced individuals that use their powers to break the law (including those that defy the rules above) or are deemed a threat to the general public can be detained indefinitely without a trial;
• The use of technology to give individuals powers or special capabilities and the use/ distribution of highly advanced technology is extremely regulated;
• Creating self-aware artificial intelligences is prohibited;
• The Avengers are no longer a private organization and will operate under the supervision of
the UN'

Destiny read over the regulations of the accords, they were unconstitutional to say the least, illegal at the worst.

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have." Rhodey pointed out to Sam.

"So, let's say we agree to this thing," Sam presented his argument, "How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?"

"A hundred and seventeen countries want to sign this." Rhodey argued, "A hundred and seventeen, Sam, and you're just like; 'No, that's cool. We got it'."

"How long are you gonna play both sides?" Sam demanded, crossing his arms stubbornly around himself.

"I have an equation!" Vision shouted over their arguing.

"Oh, this will clear it up." Sam griped, but the rest of the team turned to give Vision the floor.

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially." Vision pressed his fingertips together, resting one of his arms over the lounge chair he and Wanda were sitting on. "And, during the same period," Steve paused in flipping the page to look up at Vision, "The number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asked.

"I'm saying there may be a causality." Vision pointed out. When no one challenged the idea, he continued, "Our very strength," he motioned to the people in the room, "invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict breeds catastrophe. Oversight," He glanced at Wanda, "Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

"Boom." Rhodey gently nodded in agreement.

"And what of the people who have tried to control the Avengers in the past?" Pietro spoke up. He was leaning against the wall behind his sister and Vision, his arms crossed. "HYDRA? S.H.I.E.L.D.? Ultron?"