Chapter One

HYDRA was being stupid. Just plain dumb. They were taking the chip out of Bucky because now, according to them, he knows not to run off. That's what they think.
They had just finished another memory wipe when they were explaining his next mission to him. They let him loose to go off on his mission, but he had other plans. The night before, he had rifled through HYDRA's files until he found a picture of the man who called him Bucky.
He remembered this man, oh yes, he remembered him. The memory wipes had gotten less severe as HYDRA thought he had either lost interest in remembering anything or that he lost his will to live. And he had. For a while, anyway. He lost any desire to live before he had met Captain America. Or re-met. Whatever.
He studied the file and learned that Mr. Steve Rogers was one of the greatest threats to HYDRA, which meant he was a good guy. A great guy, actually. From what he read, Mr. Rogers had been frozen for seventy years and had been injected with some sort of supersoldier serum. He led a team full of superhumans and assassains called the Avengers who were a part of SHIELD, HYDRA's enemies.
Bucky had a plan to find him. He had a plan to restore his old life.
SHIELD knows where he is at all times. He doesn't know how, but they do. He figured out that, if he looks suspicious, they send agents; if they know he's up to something, they send Cap. His plan was to do something that looked like he was up to something so they would send Steve, talk to Steve about who he was, and, hopefully, regain Steve's trust. Because, y'know, almost beating someone to death kind of loosens the bond.
He goes into a building that he has been in before on a mission and goes to the basement, obviously the most suspicious room. He starts making motions as if he's fighting and killing someone. He looks absolutely insane, but it's a small price to pay for getting his life back. When he emerges from the basement, he sees a man who wasn't there before. A star-spangled man. Bucky takes a deep breath and calls to Steve.
"Steve Rogers, behind you."
Steve turns around and, before he realizes what happened, he throws his Freedom Frisbee at Bucky. Bucky does a Matrix backwards-lean and ends up doing a backflip to retrieve the shield. He slips his arms through the loops on the back of Steve's turtle shell and Steve charges him. When he almost reaches Bucky, he stops dead in his tracks.
"Did you just call me Steve Rogers?" Steve asks breathlessly.
"I did."
"What else do you know about me?"
"I know that you're Captain America, you're a good guy, you work for SHIELD, you lead the Avengers, you were injected with a serum to make you a supersoldier back in 1945, and you were frozen for almost 70 years."
"Damn. Do you know anything about yourself?"
"No. That's why I came here. HYDRA removed the chip they had in me so they can't track me and they thought I would obey their every command so they just dropped me here with a mission and they think I'll come back when I'm done with the mission but I don't want to go back. I want to rebuild my life and gain your trust and maybe even work for SHIELD."
Steve stood there, dumbfounded.
"Can you tell me who I was before I became a monster, Steve? Please?"