56. Metamorphosis

Along the shadowed cloister of the Royal Castle, Lady Ariana Saoirse Bennet was seated on the hard surface of the plinth, leaning against one of the columns. She was barely blinking and her eyes had dried out. Deep in her thoughts, she didn't notice two maids passing by and whispering about her amongst themselves.

"What are you doing? Go change your clothes." said Saoirse, concerned for her human.

"Plotting." replied Ariana. She lifted her legs to place it on the plinth and hugged her knees. Her mouth was moving and she was mumbling something, but without any sound. She stayed in this pose for some time.

After few minutes, she stood up, dusted her backside and left for her chamber.

On the way, she took notice of Luna Barbara. She was approaching her. Ariana tried to disregard her and go on her way when the Luna stood in front of her. "You didn't speak to His Majesty." She said.

Ariana stared right into her eyes and answered. "So?"

"Ariana, this is greater than us. Ravernia's pride is being imperiled -"

Meanwhile, Ariana's gaze dropped from Luna Barbara's face to her neck. She took a step forward and gently glided her hands along the necklace resting on it.

"Give this to me. I want it." whispered Ariana.

"What?" asked Luna Barbara, unsure of what she had just heard.

"Cut it from my inheritance if you will."

Luna Barbara was confounded by her words. Demanding items was her eldest daughter's way. Ariana used to quietly buy the things she desired with her allowance while Persephone and Anwar frequently went over their limits and asked for raises in the allotment with their increasing age.

The Luna gradually unclasped the necklace and handed it over to Ariana, who started playing with it.

"Tale as old as time. The troublesome child is favored by the parents while the matured one is always ignored. So I thought why not cause some trouble?" Ariana waited to see Luna Barbara's reaction. The rapid blink of shame and the muteness appeased her. "Just joshing you, Luna. I have stopped crying for your attention long ago." She added.

"Are you trying to use Lady Ariana to influence the King's decision, Barbara?" asked Duchess Lily, as she paced closer addressed them. "If yes, then you are moving in the correct direction. The King is obliged by the mate-bond to do anything for her. Free prisoners, accept a ridiculous proposition and what not."

Ariana's left eyebrow raised on its own. "So you have already extracted information from him?"

"He was so distressed when he returned with you. My poor son."

"Bless Her Majesty, Queen Xianna. She has an impersonator!" mocked Ariana. "And always keep it in your mind, Duchess. If I'm the one who can cause your son pain, I'm also the one who can give him his true happiness."

"And he can give you yours." said the Duchess. "Why would you choose to be a commoner's wife when you can be Her Majesty, the Queen Ariana Lancaster of Wicref! Your name will be written in the history."

"My name is already written in the history, Duchess!" Ariana laughed. "On one side, there is a list of names of emperors and empresses and their respective consorts, which students mug up and vomit for the sake of their curriculum and on the other side, there's my name. I am everyone's savior."

"I am aware of that, Ariana." said Duchess Lily. "Your education, acuity, arrogance and reputation is perfect for a Queen. Think of your realm. You could do so much for them." She pleaded.