Chapter 1- Through The Bars

Monique

I don't particularly enjoy being locked up. It's unnatural. The fact that I'm to be executed in the morning also doesn't sound pleasant. I'm Monique, the greatest thief that the Ruln Kingdom has ever known. Wanted by the Rulnarian Guard since 15, robbed the pretentious blind for 7 years, and never once captured. Until now. They're all being so snobby about my imprisonment, acting as if it was by their skill that I'm now contained. Hah! Fat chance. 

My laughter rings throughout the prison. I stop as I hear steady footsteps. I turn away from the cell door, I can only assume it's another soldier coming to gloat. Great.

"Hah, just couldn't stay away, could you Monique?" they ask with a small chuckle. I turn, and there I see through the bars my old friend, Kairo. Clad in his uniform and arms crossed, he grins at my surprise. I mean, I was partially right. He is a soldier.  "What, I can't stop by for a visit?" I smirk, trying to keep my composure. Kairo leaned against the wall by the door and sighed. "There's so many ways to live your life. LAW ABIDING ways to live your life. What you're doing isn't good, you know that right?"

I laugh, "Oh, I know. But where's the fun in that?" Peering through the bars, I see him run his hand through his dark brown hair. I have missed him and his stupid face so much-- There's so little that's changed from when we were kids. Looking at him now, it's clear to see that he's still the boy I once knew. Kairo looks have matured now; he's stronger and more handsome than I remember. Less boyish and cute. More... dashing? Hah, that's an understatement...

 dashing? Hah, that's an understatement

"I know, I know. It's hard to not be captivated by my debonaire good looks, but your gaze has been captivated for quite a bit." He laughs. What??? Oh screw me now, I was staring. I'm still staring! AGHH! I shake my head from my daze. I begin to pace in front of the cell door, a little embarrassed. I turn to look at him; he's standing in front of me now. Kairo's so close-- though the bars separate us. His eyes glance down at my lips. I can't help but blush. "Monique, can I hug you...? It's been so long, I've just missed you a lo-...." His whispers trail away as I lean as close as I can to him, my arms wrapping around him through the bars. He responds by doing the same, holding my head closer to his chest. Even now I can hear his heart beating. It's slow-- calming even. Kairo runs his hand through my raven back hair. He's so gentle... I release my arms from the hug, and he slowly does the same. I look back up at him.

"You know you didn't have to ask for a hug, Kairo." I smile. He seems unsure. Nervous even. "It's polite," he mumbles, "and I wanted to make sure." His voice shows no sense of bravado, only concern. Aw. He is such a sweetheart. I begin to pace around again, and finally settle on sitting down on a large rock next to the cell wall. He sits on the opposite side of the wall. Ugh. Jingling fills the air as he plays with the keys to the cells. "Wouldn't it be the right thing to do to let me out?" I groan, hoping he'll let me free. He chuckles. "Well, we'll see, won't we? I want to know why you're here." Why I'm here. Why I'm here? Even I have doubts on why I'm here. I didn't have to get caught. I could've carried on with my little sprees. So why am I here? I had everything. Adventure, riches, even a few village kids who had become my dearest friends. Did I allow myself to be captured, for him? No. No. That's absurd. I can't still be in love, can I? And even if that was true-- Am I willing to risk my life on the premonition that he could possibly love me back? I don't respond to his question. Neither one of us says a word. What is going on in his mind, I wonder.

After a few minutes, the silence in the prison is broken by his whispers. "Monique... What happened?" I lean my back against the wall and close my eyes. Everything's a blur right now. What did happen?

End of Chapter 1- Through The Bars