When Thunder Claps

A/N: I'm editing this at almost three in the morning, if there are any mistakes my half open eyes apologize in advance.

Camila groaned when she woke up, the rest of the room was still black and the persistent sound of rain pelting her roof filled the apartment. Her alarm clock read 4:06 AM in bold red characters, she rolled over and away from the window when a flash of lightning peaked through the curtains and onto the bleak walls. Camila lazily tossed her arm over her girlfriend's waist in hopes of falling back asleep, but was surprised to feel Lauren trembling under her touch. "Laur? Are you okay?" She whispered softly.

Lauren nodded her head against her pillow, her breathing was ragged when she opened her mouth and Camila frowned in confusion. A deafening crack of thunder shook the building, making Lauren whimper and pull the duvet closer to her body. That's when it clicked in Camila's head,"are you afraid of thunderstorms?"

"Maybe," Lauren mumbled, but her weak voice gave her away. She sniffled and took a deep breath,"it's not a big deal."

Camila pulled her closer and kissed the exposed skin on her shoulder,"you're allowed to be scared. It's okay, I'll protect you."

A faint smile etched itself across Lauren's lips, she spun over to face Camila who was looking at her with those caring brown eyes that always made her feel better. "Thank you," she said and buried herself into Camila's chest.

They laid like that for a few minutes, Camila whispered sweet words of assurance into Lauren's ear every time she felt her start to shake again or heard her let out a hushed sob. "I've got you, it's okay." She hummed and peppered kisses down Lauren's jaw and neck innocently, trying her best to comfort the girl in her arms. "Do you want me to make you some tea? It might calm you down," the brown eyed girl suggested and pressed her lips to Lauren's raven hair.

"I don't want to be alone," Lauren admitted and jumped when another round of lightning accompanied by thunder claps made themselves known, illuminating and rocking the room. "Shit," she husked, Camila felt her wet tears soak through her tank top and held her even tighter until her breathing evened out.

"Come on, we'll go together," Camila encouraged and sat up slowly since Lauren still clung to her. "I'm doing this for your own good," she peeled her girlfriend's arms off of her and chuckled when they fell limply onto the bed. She stood up and walked over to the mirror, looking at her groggy features. Lauren sighed and rolled over until she reached the edge of the mattress before swinging her legs over the side and standing up. Camila grabbed a blanket from the bed and wrapped it around Lauren's quivering form. "There, you look like a princess."

"Sure I do," Lauren huffed and blew a stray piece of hair away from her eyes, an unamused expression on her face.

"Maybe a sleepy princess, but if you kinda tilt your head and close your eyes you look perfect I swear," Camila teased lightheartedly and kissed her forehead. "You look beautiful babe, messy hair and all." She wiped away the tear stains on Lauren's cheeks and laced their fingers together, with her other hand she opened the bedroom door and led Lauren into the kitchen.

Lauren stayed abnormally close to Camila and the shorter girl couldn't help but think that it was adorable despite the seriousness of her fear. A roar of thunder shook their floorboards causing Lauren to yelp and nearly jump into Camila's arms. Her laugh filled the loft and she wrapped her arms around the anxious girl,"you're okay."

"Y-yeah, I'm sorry," Lauren replied and released her grip on Camila's undershirt.

"It's alright," Camila reassured and smiled,"you're so cute."

"Shut up," Lauren whined and scrunched up her nose.

"Awh, you're blushing," Camila said smugly,"it's adorable that you have feelings."