. introduction .

. . . somewhere near Las Vegas and Reno, Nevada

Nevada. 2042.

Ext. University of Nevada; courtyard
Day

Low angle.

Enter two characters.

. . .

"Hey. I think I might've found mine."
"You believe in all that?"
"Of course I do. There's even a new law. Don't tell me you haven't been keeping up with the news?"

. . .

Beginning in 2040, the government brought up a proposal. They found a way to make it work.

. . .

"No, of course I don't keep up with that bullshit. I can't believe you do."
"You're an idiot."
"What's idiotic about wanting to live my life?"

. . .

It's said that once you find your soulmate, you both stop aging.

You will live 50 years together, then you will both pass away, together, in your sleep.

If you don't find your soulmate, however . .

. . .

"Come on. Look me in the eyes and tell me you believe soulmates exist."
"The government doesn't lie, Aki."

. . .

If you don't find your soulmate, you're said to be immortal. But you still age. Once you reach 100, you will go back down. Then you'll become an infant and start all over again.

But you won't die.

. . .

"People aren't perfect! Get that through your head!"
"Akemi."

. . .

People are going on rampages, trying to kill who they believe to be their soulmate so they will live. Some people just don't try. Others think finding their soulmate would be the dream.

But the government realized they'd made a mistake. They'd given people the power to live forever.

Now, they must find a way to kill the immortals.

. . .

[ 255 words. Original idea, as far as I know.
First time making an applyfic. I hope you like it. ]