Chapter 1 - Meet and Greet

5 years before

My eyes meet with Becky's as she gives a sneaky grin, just before grabbing the guy she just met hand and walks away.

I huff watching this encounter with a sour expression. This was our last accidental stop on our road trip before we were both stuck on a bus for another 3 hours. Then we have had a plane to meet. 

I couldn't run away from Uni anymore. I had plans and goals I need to get to. The future I kept putting off. 

I take another sip of my coke and vodka while looking around. It was a Dante little bar, the lighting was moody, with dark spots around that could easily hide a person, while other spots had a stage, where a live band were singing away. The actual bar wasn't bad, with an area just to sit at and another you had to stand and wait before taking drinks back to a table. The folk in the area didnt seem bad. A little stand offish with us at the start. Lucky for us that the bus broke down not even a 5 minute walk from their closest pub, so we didnt have to interact with them to much. 

I knew Becky would take that random guy back to our small motel room. It was the last of our savings, but it was either the motel or the bus seats and we had already sat in them for too long so we needed something nice to at least lay down on.

'I guess I won't be tho' I thought to myself knowing that I've basically been kicked out of the room for the night. 'I guess I'll be taking the bus seat instead'. I sighed swirling my drink. My boots tapping along to the music trying to at least enjoy my last night. Maybe even get drunk enough that the bus seats are comfortable for once. 

"I usually don't allow that sort of thing to happen," a voice said beside me. "But I've been distracted trying to get the nerve to talk to you."

Turning my head, my eyes were met with dark glossy green eyes. His red hair stood stark red against his tanned skin, and his skin almost glowed with the lighting and aura of this man who stood with confidence. Even tho he wasn't standing close to me, he had a faint smell of fresh rain and pine. It was like a slap in the face. I took a breath in,  the beauty of this man. He was very good looking... 'too good looking' I thought to myself. He stands self assured, in just a simple white shirt, jeans and boots, im surprised no cowboy had or cap was on his head. His shoulders are wide and biceps are big. 

with all my strength I turned away. "Not interested." I take another sip of my drink trying to avoid eye contact.

I felt his smile falter, before he tried again. "Is that an accent I hear?"

I internally grown, and with a shrug I say "I would say you have the accent not me. I honestly would say every state in America has a different accent. to the point I've given up trying to guess where anyone is from."

He laughs, and gives the bartender a two finger wave. "My guess is British," the stranger replies. The bartender sets down a long neck beer.

I raised my eyebrow in disappointment, turning my eyes toward. "That's quite offensive. I'm Australian, I would think my Aussie accent would be thick." He moves the stool and takes a seat next to me still smiling. 'Oh god, even his teeth are perfect'

He huffs in surprise. "I haven't actually met an Australian." He clears his throat before saying, "Shrimp on the barbie, kangaroo," he says in the most terrible Australian accent.

I start laughing. "That was horrible, and cheesy." I swing the last of my drink and give him a pointed look. I know what he is here for, I am not stupid. I am a pretty Australian tourist drinking alone at a bar. But I will be honest, the looks he is giving me are just so delicious, especially that handsome smile of his. I turn my whole body towards him. "I am only here for one night, so you have one night only and I will never been be back." he gives me a look but doesn't make a move.