Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens: Chapter 46

Quinn

It was around half past nine when I returned to the penthouse, and the moment I stepped foot into the living room, I heard giggling noises and laughter.

Oh dear, it appeared since there were now lights, the children were going to bed later than their usual time. Not just the children, in fact, but the adults, too.

Eden had said that during winter, everyone would be in bed by seven since it was so dark and cold with only the aid of candlelight, but now that there was the amazing crystal mana-light everywhere, including the lampposts at intervals around the courtyards outside and along the terraces of every floor and corridor of the buildings, everyone seemed to take their time to enjoy leisure until late into the night, much like modern Earth. There were even some young lovey-dovey couples sitting on the benches in the courtyard, flirting as well, the children playing on the playground, and the adults having a blast hanging out. Indeed, the lodge was lively and there was a hype of activities until well past ten since the residents had moved in.

I rounded the corner of the living area and headed into the twins' room to see Elizabeth as well as Martha, one of the two nursemaids, getting Abi and Alex ready for bed.

The moment Abi spotted me, she rushed over, squealing, "Bedtime story! Bedtime story!"

Elizabeth chuckled, shaking her head. "The moment she sees you," she said. "She's attached to you."

I picked the little girl up in my arms and carried her over to the bed. I said, "It feels strange to be a mother at this age." And I meant it as eighteen-year-old Quinn, of course.

"How do you think I feel to suddenly be a grandmother?" Elizabeth said.

I raised a brow, noting her smirk. "I'm thinking you like being a grandmother," I said as I put Abi on the bed and then tucked her in. Once she was comfortable, I turned to Alex on the other side who had been tucked in by Elizabeth. I asked, "You want me to read a story, too?"

The boy nodded, and I reached out for one of the many children picture books lined up on the shelves against the wall. While I read, Elizabeth sat and listened, too, stroking Alex's hair, and Martha doing the same to Abi. About twenty minutes later, the two darlings were sound asleep, and I put the book away. After kissing them both a sweet good night, I, along with Elizabeth and Martha, left the room.

"Good night, my lady," Martha said.

"Good night, Martha," I replied.

After nodding at Elizabeth, the middle-aged nursemaid turned on her heel and headed toward her own room at the back of the penthouse.

"I better check on Jonah," I said.

"He should be in bed by now," Elizabeth said.

Next door, I knocked, and a young voice said, "Come in."

I opened the door to see Jonah in bed with a book in his hands. "Hello," I said.

"Hello," he replied.

"Still not sleeping yet?" I asked.

"Just about to," he said.

"Can I come in to give you a goodnight kiss?" I asked.

He sighed, clearly in exasperation, and put the book down. "If you insist."

Beside me, Elizabeth worked on suppressing a chuckle. Clearly, she found this amusing.

I walked in and took a seat on the side of the bed. I said, "Good night, Jonah." Then I leaned in and planted a light kiss on his forehead.

"Night," he said, his eyes avoiding me as he turned on his side.

I secretly smiled as I could clearly see the crimson color of his flushed face. Just to tease him a bit more, I ruffled his hair and said, "Sweet dreams." He didn't reply, and I headed out, closing the door behind me.

"It looks like Jonah is warming up to me a little," I said.

Then again, it had only been a little more than six weeks since I'd arrived in Norsewood, and during most of that time, I hardly spent it with the boy, or Abi and Alex for that matter. As the lady of Norsewood, making sure the people were well-fed, warm, and looked after took most of my time and energy, after all.

"How about a cup of hot cocoa?" Elizabeth asked.

I nodded. "How about at your place?"

The Fairchilds' apartment, as with all the other apartments in the manor building, was luxurious with a comfy living area, modern open-plan kitchen that Elizabeth and Maria sometime used to cook, and three bedrooms, each with their own attached en suite. As I walked in, I felt like I was walking into my parents' home back on Earth after a weekend trip away with friends, and I eagerly went to lounge on the sofa.

Maria appeared from her room and came to sit beside me, wrapping her arms around me and burrowing her face against the nape of my neck. "It feels like ages since I snuggled you. It has been hectic since we arrived at Norsewood."

I nodded. "It has been hectic."

"I honestly don't know what would happen to Norsewood's people if it wasn't for you," she continued. "Without you, they'd probably..."

Again, I nodded. She didn't need to finish the sentence to imply the outcome. Most would have died of starvation and disease, and those vulnerable would be first.

Elizabeth came over and handed us each a mug of hot cocoa. I eagerly took mine and then began to sip, my mind on Aldric and his people, yet again.

Elizabeth said, "Liam is training himself hard. He's been at the military gym every chance he can get and training until well past midnight ever since it opened."

"Well, it's just Liam," Maria said. "He has been wanting to be a knight since he was young, so being able to train now is a dream come true for him, and especially when it's under Sir Theo." Turning to me, she leaned in close and whispered, "Did you know that Sir Theo has his eyes on Aunty Beth?"

"Is that so?" I said, drifting my gaze to Elizabeth, a sense of excitement bubbling up inside me. Oh my, it appeared a romance was blossoming.

Elizabeth watched us, her eyes narrowed in suspicion. She said, "What are you two whispering about?"

"Nothing," Maria said.

I said softly to Maria, "Tell me more later." To Elizabeth, I asked, "Are you still all right helping me at the health clinic?"

"Of course," she said.

"Are Eden and Sara helping as well?" Maria asked.

"Yes," I said. "There'll be so many coming in for their follow-up health check, after all."

"It's going to be a very busy week for sure," Maria said, and I thought she could say that again.

After my hot cocoa with my mother and cousin, I returned to the penthouse and had a quick shower. Wearing a pretty nightgown—the flimsy type that showed off my slender figure and guaranteed to make my gorgeous husband's knees weak—I climbed into bed, waiting very patiently for said husband to turn up. Half an hour later, he was still nowhere in sight, and I grew impatient, and indeed, started yawning. Not to mention my eyes were getting droopy with sleepiness, too.

Honestly, just how late was he going to be?

I rolled over to his side, and grabbing his pillow, I hugged it against me, burying my face against the softness. Ah, it smelled of Aldric, and my insides grew warm. He had such a nice scent, the type that was so Aldric, the type that I loved.

I closed my eyes, imagining myself kissing him, and then... I fell into a deep slumber, yet again.