Single Part

Reagan is exhausted. Things at Cognito had not been easy since her father, Rand Ridley, collapsed and was forced to retire. She was taking over his job now, without neglecting her own. She deserved a promotion. Or a salary increase or a new tote bag, at the very least.

But of course, any of those things were too much to expect. The only thing she got out of it was her asshole father staying with her. His mother kicked him out of the house after he lost his job and now she was the one who had to take care of all the shit.

And what a load of crap. Reagan found her father lying on the couch, drunk and wearing pajamas, surrounded by all the trash he generated while she was away. For God's sake, she wasn't the neatest person in the world, but Rand was on another level. Tiredly, she headed towards her kitchen; she was starving.

While she was heating up a slice of Pizza in the microwave, she noticed how her sink faucet was dripping. Oh, shit.

"Dad," she called from the kitchen, "could you fix that leak?"

"I'm not a fucking plumber, kiddo!"

Reagan rolled her eyes. She picked up her plate and went to sit next to Rand in the living room. He was watching TV, where a group of terraplanists were defending their views. How stupid. Just another issue brought on by her father that she would have to deal with in the future.

She tried to forget about it and focus on her dinner. Then, her eyes fell on the wall where the television was. A wet spot was protruding from the ceiling and almost reached the floor. Again, oh shit. She let out a sigh, her damn house was falling apart.

"While you're here rent-free, could you help me paint that wall?"

Rand let out a sarcastic laugh.

"I'm not a fucking painter," he said and took a long sip of his beer.

The only thing Reagan could do was let out another sigh. She didn't have the energy at the moment to fight with her father. She would have to find a way to work it out on her own. However, that could wait until tomorrow.

Finishing her less-than-nutritious dinner, she got up from the couch to set her plate down on the stove.

"Whatever. I'm off to bed. I have work to do tomorrow."

The man didn't answer. Reagan didn't take it personally. She was used to his manner. She walked towards the stairs, she was sure that she would fall asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. Her hand went toward the switch trying to turn on the light. It didn't work. Oh shit, for the third time.

"Would you make yourself useful for once and fix this?" Reagan shouted.

As soon as she said it, knew what his answer would be.

"Damn it Reagan! Don't you get it?! I'm not a fucking electrician!"

Could she have expected any other kind of response from him? Anyway, she was exhausted. Tomorrow she would find a way to fix everything without his help. She always did.

..............................................................................................................................

Rand returned home after making a fuss in front of the White House. If he kept bothering like this, he was sure JR would soon give him his job back. He was surprised when, upon entering the house, he found Reagan putting on her makeup in the living room and dressed to go out. Weird, his daughter seldom had plans after work.

That was not the only thing that caught his attention. A quick glance made him notice that the damp stain was gone and the wall was showing its original color again. He went to check the kitchen and the light in the stairwell. Everything was working properly. Also, the garbage was gone and there was a fresh lemon scent in the air.

"House looks good kiddo, did you hire someone?"

Reagan shook her head, while adjusting her red dress.

"Not exactly."

He raised an eyebrow. Her daughter was a freaking genius in engineering, but a totally useless in domestic matters.

"Then, what happened?"

She looked at him, or as close to as she could manage, and gave him a half-smile.

"Do you recognize Cognito's new intern, Brett Hand?"

"Oh yeah, the moron that JR hired."

-Well, I asked him to help me with home repairs. He said I could pay him back by either shagging him, or baking him a cake.

Wow, Cognito's glory days were long gone. Now they were really hiring shameless perverts. In older days, perverts would try to hide a little bit.

"What a shitty guy, but at least he knows how to work. Did you have any cake left over?"

This time, Reagan looked him straight in the eye. It was too awkward to hold his daughter's gaze.

"Don't you understand, Dad? I'm not a cake-baking whore."

Rand opened his mouth in surprise, processing her words. Before he could reply that she indeed was some kind of "whore", Reagan walked out of the house without looking at him.

..............................................................................................................................

Reagan laughed loudly as she headed for her car. She loved pissing off her father in any way possible. He deserved that kind of treatment. Hopefully that would teach him to be a little more cooperative at home.

Brett, after she whined to him about it over lunch the day before, told her that he would be happy to help her with any necessary home repairs. Not asking for sexual favors in return, of course. He was too nice to think of such a thing and was willing to help without expecting anything in return. All because of his need for everyone to like him.

She decided to invite him out to dinner to express her gratitude. Reagan hated to admit it, yet she was starting to feel a strong affection for Brett. She was shocked by it, but she couldn't help it, he was nice and very charming. Plus, he genuinely cared about her well being.

Who knows, perhaps one day having a more intimate relationship with him would become a reality.

..............................................................................................................................

Hello!

This is my first Inside Job fanfiction. I love this series and I've been wanting to write about it for a while. This is based on a stupid and very old joke, I once saw a Johnlock fanfic with the same theme and I thought why not? Sorry if it's a bit OoC, it always happens to me when I start a new fandom.

Next time, I'll write something exclusively about Breagan <3.

Thank you so much for reading c:

Ciao!