Midnight Adventures

Takes place post season 7

———

The bright red numbers on the clock showed it had just turned 2am. At this time, most people in Seattle would be fast asleep - unless you were still awake, attempting to console a baby who was refusing to stop crying. Rachel had given birth to their beautiful baby boy James (affectionately named after Mike's father) and they couldn't be more pleased with their little life they had created for themselves. Up until this point, they would consider James a generally quiet baby, not tonight though.

James' crying first woke Mike up not long after midnight and Mike had lifted the baby out of his crib with ease and tiptoed across the landing to avoid waking Rachel who continued to sleep, obviously trying to make up for the sleep she lost after James was born. However, after an hour of continuous crying, Rachel had eventually stirred and found the pair on the landing, looking out the window as Mike gently rocked James side to side, still teary-eyed. When Rachel found them James was staring up at Mike wide-eyed, showing no signs of sleep as Mike was looking slightly worse for wear with dark smudges underneath his eyes.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" Rachel enquired.

Mike softly shook his head - "You can go back to sleep, Love. I'll deal with Jamie, you need to rest."

Of course Rachel had declined and stayed with her boys - which brought them up to now.

James had been rocked continuously for almost 2 hours and was not even weary. Mike and Rachel had both held him, Rachel had fed him, he had his nappy changed but he still was set on crying his little heart out, much to the distress of his parents. Little James was crying in Mike's arms as Mike was offering him his toy elephant (courtesy of Harvey and Donna) and Rachel was stroking the crown of his head, in an attempt to console the visibly upset baby. They still were none the wiser as to what had caused their baby's tears and just assumed that it was Colic.
As a last resort, Mike had decided to take James out for a walk - a while ago, his Grammy had told him it was the only thing that soothed him as a baby and he never quite understood why she had told him that at the time, but he now supposed that it was for moments like this. And so, Mike went downstairs, pulled his shoes and coat on, got James all strapped up in his pushchair and wandered out into the cool night air of Seattle - as Rachel clambered back into their bed (which was now cold) and prayed that Mike would be successful in his mission to console their baby. Unsurprisingly, Mike did not encounter anyone on their midnight adventure but it was oddly calming, just being in the city with his son and finally having a moment to himself just to reflect on the past few months of his life: becoming a father with the arrival of James and seeing Rachel become the most amazing mother.
About 15 minutes into the walk, James' cries eventually subsided into silent tears running down his rosy cheeks. At this point, Mike found a bench to sit down on and scooped James out of his pushchair as he melted into Mike's arms and he finally drifted off to sleep.

When Mike arrived home, the 5-bedroom modern house was completely silent as Rachel had fallen asleep. He gently placed a now sleeping James into his cot with his Elephant and slowly retreated back to his own bedroom so he didn't wake his baby nor his wife. Once he was back in his bedroom he silently slipped under the duvet, snuggled up to Rachel and promptly fell asleep - trying to ignore the fact that he would most likely be woken up again in 4 hours.

—————————————————————————

Thank you for reading!! Please review and let me know any prompts you would like me to do and I will try my best to write them. Feel free to visit my Twitter page @jess75x

*I do not own Suits, this is just my way of sharing my views had Meghan and Patrick not left the show* no copyright intended