CHAPTER 1/2

The sun was setting- the gentle sloshes of the waves could be heard up on the shore. A black dragon sat quietly on the sandy beach.

She could hear the quiet sounds of the ocean. They were repetitive, just like Darkstalker said.

When Moon learnt her first skill with mind-reading, it was at the beginning of Jade Mountain Academy. Before all the drama and action started. Before she met her winglet.

Before Darkstalker came emerging from the earth and flinging around spells.

Moon sighed. She truly had thought Darkstalker was a good dragon. She really thought that maybe it wasn't such a bad idea when Peril accidentally set fire to the scroll. Only after she had calmed down from the horrific story she read in Darkstalker's scroll, of course.

Moon sighed again.

Then she heard soft talonsteps on sand.

"Moon, you may be able to read minds, but that doesn't mean I can," a voice said jokingly.

Moon turned around and hugged Qibli. "Qibli!"

"And hello to you too," Qibli grinned. He spread his wings over Moon for a moment, then Moon let go and sat back down, watching Qibli settle himself in a way that his tail barb wouldn't whip around. Then she locked her gaze back on the slowly setting sun.

"So, what are you thinking about?" Moon could feel Qibli's intense black gaze on her.

"Uh, not really anything, just worrying about Darkstalker." Moon turned her head to look at Qibli, then looked down and traced a small circle on the wet sand with one claw. "What about you?"

"Oh, just thinking, wow, we just found like, two whole new tribes, and like, found a whole CONTINENT on the other side. You know, the usual."

Moon giggled. It was times like these that made Qibli seem... much more Qibli-like.

"Do you think they can go back there, and... save all of those dragons from that... breath of evil?"

Qibli looked at her. "Of course. But like, they'd need to block their noses from that breath of evil, cause like I bet it smells like camels. Oh, but we could go. I mean, I could go. You wouldn't need to go, Moon. Maybe like me and a few maces. Oh yes, and that poisoned dagger. I wonder if Clay has that now..."

Moon smiled, trying not to laugh and spoil the very serious moment into a not so serious. But she was pretty sure that was already ruined.

"Qibli, you wouldn't have to go. I'd follow and go with you wherever you'll go." Qibli gave her a excited look.

"Maybe we can bring the entire Jade Winglet! Turtle's already here, maybe we could get a message to Kinkajou, and for Winter-"

Qibli stopped, realising that was the wrong thing to say. They looked into each other's eyes for a long, awkward moment. Looking down, Moon finished retracing the circle she was drawing and started doodling depressed monkeys.

Desperate to change the subject, Moon searched the back of her memory to bring anything else up.

Uh... um.... Oh! I know.

"So um, Qibli, I've recently had a vision..."

Qibli's eyes lit up, and he leaned closer. "Tell me! Is there a prophecy along with it?"

Moon nodded. "Yes."

Moon closed her eyes, then recited:

"Turn your eyes, wings, fire, to the land across the sea

Where dragons are poisoned and dragons are dying

And no one can ever be free.

A secret lurks inside their eggs

A secret lurks inside their book

A secret buried far below

May those brave enough to look.

Open your hearts, you minds, you wings,

To the dragons who flee from the Hive.

Face a great evil with talons united

Or none of the tribes will survive."

The prophecy ending to a close, Moon opened her eyes and looked at Qibli. There was a mix of thinking and puzzlement and emotions too familiar to Moon whenever he was thinking.