Chapter 1

Amara*

This is the story on how a misunderstanding can very much destroy the alliance between realms. I am princess Amara Cyprus of the Iphidal kingdom. The betrayal that took place was a decade ago now. On the way to becoming queen as my birth right entails, something awakens the force that destroyed our first allegiance long ago to the mortal realm. But the truth might appear different then what I had believed all those years ago.

This all starts back when I was 7 years old and started taking interest in the royal duties my father had. One of them was visiting the mortal realm and to help them, make sure their harvests were growing, and check if they needed healing aids and so forth.

I was always interested in my future duties as the heir to my kingdom. I always looked up to my father and how he was an honourable man and helped those less fortunate. He made being a king look easy. His kind blue eyes always calmed people and spoke the truth. His hugs were like a warmth after a cold winters night, comforting and hopeful.

My favorite task I helped partake in is when he would travel the realms especially the mortal one. I got to help by giving gold to the needy and warm soup to the cold. We would spend an entire day there every week. The more I went with father the more duties I was given, and I could not be more excited to help.

On my eighth birthday we traveled once again to the mortal realm. Father had intrusted me to bring supplies to the orphanage for the first time. While he visited the mortal king about something he was worried about. I was too excited to ask further on what he meant. I ran the way, getting lost a bit but following the signs lining the trail through the village.

As I round the corner onto the last street I got knocked over and all the supplies I was carrying spilled onto the dirt trail. My senses were instantly bombarded with yelling and something, or well someone falling onto me. If you cant complete your tasks accordingly, then I dont want to see you till night fall! the yelling resonated from a big burly woman, her voice obviously directed to the person that was indirectly in my lap.

The lady then slammed the door and as I looked up, I saw the sign to the orphanage. I guess I was closer than I thought. After a few seconds I finally registered the person in my lap. It was a girl around my age. She quickly got off me repeating apologies.

She was quick to help gather the fallen supplies and then handed them to me and left in a blink of an eye. Stunned I took a few seconds to gather my surroundings and process what had just happened. I quickly got up and threw the supplies onto the doorstep of the orphanage. They can figure it out on their own.

I ran down the trail that the girl had bolted down, trying to find a glimpse of her and see if she is all right. As the heir to the high kingdom, I am always wanting to make sure our mortal subjects or rather allies are taken care of. I caught a glimpse of her raven black hair running out toward the evergreen forest. A place my father has not yet intrusted me to venture alone but at this time making sure the girl was all right was taking, precedence.

Feeling as I might finally catch up to her until I saw her fly off the edge of what I soon find out is a cliff. I tried to skid to a stop but from running so fast in shoes made for more drees up than running. Stopping was of no use, I fell off the very edge the girl I was chasing after had jumped off.

I do not know how long the fall was before my body was submerged in cold salty water. I was quick to realize and tried to swim up and stay afloat. Being a princess and never one to venture alone in the mortal realm, swimming was never a skill I learned. I caught a glimpse of the girl swimming no problem to the shore and I screamed as loud as I can, hoping she could hear me and help me.

Wait! Help! I cannot swim, please! with that last breath I took to shout a huge wave smashed me back under the water. I prayed to whomever would listen that the girl had heard me and had enough heart to save me before I drowned.