10. | 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐭 𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐜𝐡

NOTES ;

bringin' in that southern charm ~

( and some angst bc if yk me, we
all know how much i love
writing angst 🤎

hope y'all paid attention to
the foreshadowing in the
previous chapters tho )

•       •       •

flashback ;

  When hot tears rolled down your cheeks, you knew you couldn't take being here anymore. The yelling, the neglect and avoidance, marriage problems . . You've had enough.

Your parents stayed together because they had to, not because they wanted to. And they certainly never wanted you. They were young, did dumb things, and those things turned out having to eventually care for a baby; aka, you.

They were still young; and what seemed to you, they never grew up.
You're a teenager, but that didn't mean you couldn't decipher normal families from your own.

When you dialed in the number on your phone, you picked at your fingernails, trying ever so patiently, for the other end to pick up.

  Your eyes search the sky outside of the window- - it was getting light out, the birds were up on the electrical wire, chirping. 

"C'mon, Oncie. Pick up." Your voice mumbled into the speaker.

After a couple more rings, you sigh, leaning your head back against the side of the bed. The floor wasn't comfortable, but you just didn't feel like sitting on the bed.

"Mhhn- - hello?"

Your head perked up, and you sniffled your nose. "D-Did I wake you up?"

  "Uh, yeah . . you did." His voice mumbles into the phone. A few movements and shifts cause some rustling into the speaker. "It's four in the morning— Wh-why are you up?"

"Sorryy . . I haven't even gone to sleep yet."
You pick at the carpet, anxiously. "Can I come over . . ?"

"Right now?"

You shifted, nervously. " . . yeees?"

"Are you okay?"

"I will be. I'll see you soon." You two said your goodbyes, and hung up.

  You had taken the car from the garage, and drove your way into the outskirts of town, to find the country roads that took you to an isolated little ranch, which you knew all too well. About half an hour later, you arrived at his house.

  Pulling into the driveway, you made sure to avoid the old red truck sitting in the driveway, broken down and never touched since the older male, head of the household, had left it there to rot. Onceler was sitting in a chair on the front porch, waiting, watching.
When you shut the car door behind you, it didn't take long for you to meet Onceler at the door. He was still in his pajamas, hair a bit out of place, and a tired look in his eye. He must have stayed up waiting for you to get there.