xiv. That's What I'll Do

Autumn 999 - Vinland

Tatia was still getting used to her new home. While Elijah had been kind enough to show her around and the women had been welcoming, she didn't feel at home. It had been less than a year since her husband died and her baby was still so little, she felt off-kilter in this new life that had been thrust upon her.

Even the simple task of picking out fabrics was difficult. She was used to a much harsher climate and all of her clothes seemed to be stifling in this new world. Ayana had offered to help her make new items for her and her son, however, the witch had been preoccupied by the upcoming festivals. They were all praying for a longer summer, however, Tatia was secretly hoping the cold weather would begin. Maybe it would help her adapt.

"You don't want that." Tatia jumped from where she was holding a beautiful wool fabric. "It won't be cold enough for that for some time."

"Astra," Tatia smiled at the new arrival. "I didn't see you."

"Yes, you seemed very focused on your selections." The amusement in Astra's eyes made Tatia feel there was an inside joke Astra was making at her expense.

"I'll confess, I was hiding from Ingrid," Tatia whispered. Ingrid had been eager to make fast friends with Tatia since her arrival, however, as she got to know the young woman, she began to question her motives.

"Ah, so you discovered the truth all on your own." Astra kneeled down next to where Tatia was crouched, both of them obscured by the rows of pelts.

"If you mean that she is madly in love with Elijah and is using my friendship to warn me away," Tatia gave her a conspiratorial grin, "yes, I figured it out quite quickly."

"Subtlety is not her strength." Astra laughed, running her hand over one of the light blue fabrics.

"No," Tatia hummed, "not like yours."

Tatia watched as Astra froze at her words. Many of the girls of the village had not set foot outside the village borders. Tatia knew Astra was used to being the most adventurous and well-traveled woman in any group she was in. Many of the girls did not have the freedoms Astra herself had. But Tatia had been through more than most women her age. She had traveled across a sea by herself to escape the shame that was cast upon her for refusing to burn with her husband's funeral pyre.

"I don't know what you mean." Astra resumed her search through the fabrics as if the words had no effect on her.

"I mean to tell you that I am interested in Elijah." Astra's eyes widened at the forwardness of the woman before her. "However, I am new here and I have no intention of getting between anything. Now is your chance to say something."

"It's that simple?" Astra raised her eyebrow at the woman. "You say you are interested in Elijah but you would just walk away?"

"It's that simple," Tatia confirmed with a small smile on her lips. "I care for him and I know given time, I would love him. But I have my son to consider. I have no desire to interfere with any arrangement you have made with him. So I ask you, is Elijah yours?"