I Promised you.

~06.03.1927~

Sunday morning. 

The first rays of sunshine made their way through heavy clouds that had poured rain above the city during the night. Slowly, they traveled along the sky, until they were far off behind the mountains. 

Birds started chirping their songs, announcing the arrival of morning. The streets were still wet, but it didn't stop people from going out. The sound of laughter and rambling could be made out in the distance. Families gathered together to walk along the river that was located nearby. 

As the sun rose, its beams shone into a tall office, illuminating the papers scattered on a desk. Even though it was Sunday, meaning no work, the man sitting at the desk didn't bother. These documents wouldn't finish themselves. 

He had worked through the night as getting sleep was useless. It had been a long while since he had gotten a good night's rest. He brought his hands to his face, feeling his eyes sting. Staring at the paper for too long without taking a break sure has its effect. 

Setting the pen aside, he inspected the document. 

It had been almost a year since he had returned from the military and resumed his work as a criminal police officer. He had forgotten how much paperwork his job entailed. And fair enough, he didn't miss it. 

The news of his former trainer, Rudolf Wagner, now being the head of the department, had reached him well and made it easier for him to reintegrate into the workflow after his return. 
Rudolf had always invited him and his brother that after they fulfilled their military duty, they were always welcomed back. Yet here he was, alone. 

He immediately shook his head, snapping out of his thoughts, as he caught himself thinking about it too much again. Taking a deep breath, he ran a hand through his hair and reached for a cigarette, savoring the smoky taste. His eyes shifted to the clock in his office. 

8:30 am. It was still too early for whiskey.

However, it was later than he had expected. He must've been so focused on the documents that he had lost track of time. Deciding to take a break, he quickly finished his cigarette, putting it out in the ashtray. His body felt stiff as he stood up. Too long did he sit in his office chair. 

Quickly stretching his shoulder, he got moving. He hadn't had breakfast yet and hoped to still find some bread in the cupboard, but to his disappointment, it was empty. 

He signed heavily. 

Going outside to get some baked goods was not part of his plan, but he had no other option. Closing the cupboard, he turned around to retrieve his wallet from his office. 

Walking through the apartment always felt strange since his return. The floor made creaking noises with every footstep he took. The silence was torture for his mind. 
He grabbed his wallet, put on his coat and boots, and lit another cigarette as he left the apartment. Taking the car felt unnecessary since the bakery was just around the corner. 

Despite the sun shining, the air was still cold. It wasn't summer yet so people on the street wore their thick winter jackets, visibly shivering. 

Clearing his throat, he finished his cigarette while walking along the sidewalk, tossing it into the nearest trash can. Only a few cars passed by, as people headed to family reunions or met with friends. 

As he crossed the street, the smell of freshly baked bread filled the air. A queue had formed in front of the small shop, mostly consisting of elderly women providing for their families. He huffed loudly, hoping for less commotion. However, he joined the line, suppressing the urge to light yet another cigarette. Hopefully, this wouldn't take too long. He had a strict schedule that needed to be followed.