In Defense of the Little Mermaid (Classic)

Chance I might come back and edit, but I'll leave editing notes.

Kiss the Girl Is Problematic?

Why are we villainizing Prince Eric?  In the scene when they're in the boat and Sebastian is singing "Kiss the Girl", I've seen many parents use that as an example of what never to do.  They use the Little Mermaid for many of these "scenarios", which I agree she isn't the best example for a child in certain cases, but people are bashing Ariel for all the wrong things.  So I'm going to offer some light in defense of Ariel.

"See that?  See how Ariel is in a place alone with a guy she doesn't know well? See how she can't really get out when things start to escalate further?" The amount of times I've seen people say similar things is astonishing.  Because it's literally not true.  Like at all.

For one, Ariel wasn't alone.  She literally had Flounder, Sebastian and the seagull with her.  Not only that, but all the animals were rooting for her and offering support.  She could escape if it were a bad situation. Heck, Sebastian was literally being the best wingman, encouraging the kiss.

Second, Ariel was the one who wanted the kiss.  Consent does not have to be verbal.  When Eric finally decided to go for it, he leaned in very slowly.  Ariel returned the action.  That is a form of consent.

If anything, Eric was the one who didn't take precautions.  He took this girl he only met a day ago on a boat at night.  Didn't think twice about it.  But it's not like either of them were actually in a bad situation.  The viewer can clearly see that Eric is one of the few earlier princes with pure intentions.  Unlike Prince Florian (which is a whole other discussion).

It's one thing to tell your kid, "This is a movie.  You should know someone a little better before you go out alone with them." That's a clear message without twisting the movie.

Now, don't get me wrong, this is a good lesson for your kids.  However, how are you supposed to get your point across when your example is bad?  Because all these accusations just aren't true.  A better example to use would be Anna and Hans.  Good lessons need actual examples and a twisted version of a scene that people lie to their kids about.

Don't Sell Your Voice Over A Man

The most common thing you'll hear parents warn their child would probably be: "Never sell your voice or anything for a man you just met." Obviously, this is a clearly justifiable concern and a good thing to make sure your children know their worth and safety.  However, once again, this isn't exactly what this scene is.

Let's rewind the movie.  The entire opening is literally Ariel singing and talking about her interest in humans and their culture.  She wants to be a human.  Eric came later.  If anything, Eric was merely used as a bargaining chip.  Ariel made the gamble for her freedom and chance exploration she craved to see and Eric just so happened to be a part of the equation.  She would have done it even if Eric wasn't involved.

That said, it doesn't mean that there aren't any problematic undertones to the movie.  But that's just it.  It's a movie.  Sometimes people take it far too literally and forget that the story is for entertainment.  Not real life.

Many parents also say they don't want their daughters to think that fairytale love is real life love.  But I have never met any kid with that mindset (at an appropriate dating age) even though many of their parents never gave any lessons or discussions over a movie.  Except for the "You don't get to talk to your parents the way Ariel talks to her Dad". Maybe I just matured super quickly, but by the time I wanted to date, I understood that movie relationships weren't usually realistic and no one had told me otherwise.  I knew through observation.  Then again, I was the weird kid, so maybe I just processed things differently than normal kids.  I don't know. Did you or a kid you knew ever have that issue?

She's Married Way Too Young and Too Soon!

Now this I'm actually on board with, but someone pointed out to me that there was a time skip.  It's possible that they waited, because it definitely wasn't the same day.  Who can say that they didn't wait a couple years?

However, considering the fact Eric could pull the stings to marry Ursula in one day, it's possible that he could marry Ariel the very next day.  Then again, Eric wasn't in his right mind.  He was being mind controlled.  In short, I don't actually have an opinion on this assumption.  I would love to see your take though!

Either way, I wouldn't deem them in love realistically within the few days in the movie that the story takes place in.  Which is why I love the fact that they didn't get to kiss.  It probably wouldn't have worked.  But I'm not complaining about the short timespan.  The movie didn't have long, but it did a good job developing an interesting relationship despite the fact that Ariel didn't even have to talk.

Ariel Has to Be Saved By a Man

Look, I get it.  No one likes it when the woman can't do anything.  But Ariel is no damsel in distress.  Well, she is a girl in distress, but you get the picture.  Ariel is a very independent girl who can hold her own.  Does she make bad choices? Arguably yes.  But can she take care of sharks? Oh, yeah.

Ariel does a lot of saving in the movie.  For instance, when she saved Eric from drowning. Then she saved him from Ursula.  Needing help does not equal being helpless.  In reality, everyone needs help at some point in their lives.  And I always felt like Ariel and Eric were very equal in saving each other count in my opinion.  It was just Eric running into a giant, evil octopus lady with a boat was more climactic.  I will admit to that.

But to say the movie is playing sexist character roles isn't exactly true.  At least not in that context.  The whole movie is about how strong of a person and/or character she is and fighting for her dreams.  So I would definitely pass the Little Mermaid as a realistic feminist movie.  It portrays a strong sixteen year old girl pretty accurately in many cases.

All this is simply my take on the matter, but what about yours?

I might make a second chapter dedicated to the Little Mermaid.  Any questions or suggestions on topics on either Ariel or another Disney Princess?