Chapter 1 - A guest

10 minutes earlier

Colin

Its 11. Nice. I have officially gone my 38th day in a row of not falling asleep early. Working on three different things. A book, a game, and mastering Tetris. I yawn looking at my masterpiece. I have been writing a book about a boy who is trapped in a near endless complex of different rooms. Sad I couldn't make it fully original. Impossible to come up with tons of ideas. 

With that aside I grab my phone and dial my friend Gabriel's number. Voice message. I take a deep sigh remembering that I had to deal with an almost literal mountain of homework. So while their out camping I'm stuck here. In my dumb old house. I grab the bag of chips I was eating and head downstairs to throw it away. I groan when I see that the trash bag is full. I grab it and drag it to my back door. I open it up to the pouring rain. I groan again since I'm going to get soaked. 

I step out onto the patio and walk to the trashcans right next to the garage. I lazily shove open the lid, toss in the bag and drop the lid shut. As I turn a glint of orange in the corner of my eye catches my attention. I look to where it was and I see a shivering ginger cat looking back at me. Knowing better than to let it freeze out here I approach it with the thought of bringing it inside eon my mind. When I reach out to it, it hisses. I retract my hand.

"Easy buddy. I'm not going to do anything." I calmly say, hoping to ease the cat.

I try again and it seems hesitant at first, but eventually complies. I never had a pet before. My parents had a cat when I was a kid. So I kinda know how to take care of one. I reach out again, slower this time, and the cat approaches it. I just hold my hand there for a second and the cat nuzzled it. I give it a quick scratch on the head and lift it up. It struggled at first, and that is probably going to leave a mark, but it relaxed.

"Well I'm going to have to name you something, so what should I call you?" I ask more-or-so to myself, "I suppose I'll just have to call you Ember for now."

The cat perks up at the name.

"Like it eh?" I chuckle.

I look out into the storm and then at my desk with the homework on it.

I take a long, deep sigh, "I'll go get you some tuna or something. Then I have work to do."

I leave my house and drive off in my car. I should be back in 15 minutes or so.

Felicia (Ember)

This human has a nice home. I admit, but it can still use some improving. For one the smell of salt and wheat is viciously strong. And there is a mountain of 'paper' on a table. I walk around, exploring the place. I find a room with a giant vertical black slab and a couch in front of it. On the slab is footage of... The Mario Kart 8 World Tournament. Weird little human stuff. 

I hop onto the couch and let the hand of sleep guide me.

...

The slamming of the front door wakes me from my dreamless sleep. I look to where the sound came from and see the human standing there.

"Hey Ember," He calls, "I got some food for ya."

I jump down from the couch and walk over to him.

He chuckles as I do so, "Getting comfy already."

I make the noise humans call 'meow' as a yes. I follow him to the marble topped tables. Where he pulls out a tin-can from his pocket. He pulls out a bowl and spoon from the storage compartments. He opens the can and empties its contents into the bowl and sets it right in front of me. Personally I like fish so I ate right away.

When I finish eating I notice that the human was gone, and so was the mountain of paper. I follow his sent to a room upstairs. He appears to be half asleep half awake working on whatever he was doing. He didn't even notice me as I jumped onto the desk. Only when a nuzzled his arm did he notice. 

After rubbing his eyes, with a tired voice he says, "Oh hey Ember. Guess you probably wanna go to bed since its what? 11:30 in the night. Beds over there" 

He gestures to his bed in the far right corner of the room. Instead of jumping down and sleeping, like my lazy side wanted. I just plopped right down on the desk.

"Your choice." He says.

I look at what hes working on. It appears to be complicated equations of what humans call math. 

(Just imagine it as this)

(You even know what this is?)

(...)

(Knew it)

(Shut up brain!)

He groans as he writes the answer for the first question. It was about two hours later when he finally finished. 

"I appreciate you staying up with me," The human says then chuckles to himself, "Eh. Look at yourself Colin. Talking to a cat that probably doesn't understand English."

I mentally bark a laugh at the last part. Boy if this guy knew. He settles in his bed and turns the lights off. I jump on and curl up at the foot of the bed. Heh, never even got his name. I stretch and, once again, let let myself fall into dreamless sleep.

...Meanwhile...

Footsteps can be heard across the marble-floored hallway. I unknown man in a suit approaches another.

"Sir?," He says, "We got something."

The taller one spits out, "What?"

"We detected an unnaturally large amount of energy in a city in Colorado."

He turns around, revealing his mid 30s face he then says. "Where in Colorado?"

(woo 1000 words!)

(You messed it up! Its 1007 now!)

(Aw boo hoo.)

(1010!)