Prologue

It was a warm spring morning in the forest. The leaves and brush were greener at this time of year, finally straying away from their hibernating snowfall. Flowers bloomed out of their frost on the trees and the lakes and streams thawed, trickling down the woods once again. The army of Leafmen flew around the boundaries on their hummingbird steeds, making sure that things were all put together for the coming of the season. The animals were up and out of their timeless sleep and were now wandering around looking for food and stretching their muscles in the warmth of the sun. The sky was clear and opted for a sunny, good day. 

        Queen Marigold's first-in-command, General Ronin, sat in the saddle harnessed around a green and red crystal-feathered humming bird, scouting the land along the river. He guided the fast-flying bird over a baby deer and her mama wading in the clear blue water, their noses dipped in the serene. He then dove under a log walkway over the river, and flew up toward one of the trees high above. Perched on one of the branches hidden among the lime green leaves was Nod, and settled beside him was his finch steed, pecking at the bark with its tiny black beak. 

        Ronin led his humming bird up to the branch and settled there. Slipping off his helmet from his head, he stepped off his steed and walked over to Nod. He was sitting on a bump on the branch that acted as a seat, and had his arms folded on his knees as he looked up at the golden sun in the golden sky. His green helmet was off and by his feet, revealing his brown beach waves. 

        Ronin swung his Leafman helmet as he walked over to him. "Beautiful morning, isn't it?" 

        Nod looked up and finally noticed the general. He smiled and nodded to him before looking back out at the glorious sunrise. "Yeah. It's great." 

        Ronin stood next to the younger man, following his direction. He couldn't blame him for stopping and taking in the scenery. Sometimes you just had to stop and see what you've been missing. Even Ronin. 

        They stood in silence for a moment, admiring the sky as it changed colors before them. Then Ronin said something. "Have you talked to MK today?" 

        Nod shifted in his seat. "Oh, yeah. Well, I was, but I kind of got distracted." 

        "Distracted?" Ronin couldn't help but release a chuckle. "Well, isn't that a first." 

        "What do you mean by that?" 

        "Normally, you're distracted from working because of the girl. Now all of a sudden you're distracted by something else completely different." 

        "I wouldn't say completely different," Nod said. "I mean, the forest is just as beautiful as she is." 

        Ronin supressed rolling his eyes. "Yeah, sure." 

        Nod snickered and almost replied before he caught the serious look on Ronin's face. He frowned. "What?" 

        "It can't be..." 

        "What? What is it?" Nod got up and looked out. "Is it the boggans? Did they come back?" 

        "No," Ronin said. Nod felt a hint of relief until he added, "It's even worse." 

        Whatever Ronin was seeing or hearing, Nod couldn't get it. When he saw the general rushing back to his humming bird, he felt his stomach drop in confused panic. He too ran to his finch, practically throwing himself onto the saddle. Ronin was already off when Nod was strapping himself in, and once he was ready, he flew after the general hastily. He was still looking around for anything that might've caused Ronin to react so sudden. Then he saw something in the distance. It was a cloud of smoke, along with the loud drawing sound of engines. Nod had been around MK's father to know what cars and machines were and how they worked. Though these sounded louder and much more monstrous than her father Bomba's old beaten-down car and all of the other beeping gadgets he has in the house. The smoke was dense and gray, like its own massive cloud in the sky. When they got closer, Nod and Ronin looked down to see massive yellow vehicles that had claws and arms that looked to drag on the ground. They were ripping up the dirt and tearing down the trees. He heard Ronin mutter darkly in front of him.