Chapter 1 - Memories of Loss

Flames of the Sun God

A One Piece Fanfic by GreyNimbus

Summary:

During the 2-year training session with Silvers Rayleigh, Monkey D. Luffy and his mentor make a discovery that will push Luffy's training to a whole new level. The Dark King braces himself as he begins to turn the Straw Hat Captain into the world's most ridiculous powerhouse.

~0~

OP/Luffy, Mature/Luffy, EarlyDFAwaken/Luffy, NoPairing

~0~

Disclaimer:

One Piece is owned by Eiichiro Oda. I do NOT own anything One Piece related. Obviously(!)

~0~

Chapter 1 — Memories of Loss

"How long are you gonna lay there like a moron?"

Our story begins with a memory of two brothers staring out into the ocean from a cliff. The boy who spoke first was Portgas D. Ace, the eldest. Ace is a 10-year-old boy with curly black hair and freckles on his face. He wore a green sleeveless t-shirt with the two kanji phrases for "innocence" and "violence" on the front and a black elbow guard on his left arm. Below that were his black knee-length shorts, and dark brown slippers on his feet.

His face was riddled with bandages on his nose, left cheek, and forehead, courtesy of injuries he sustained during a recent fight for his life, as well as his brother's.

Speaking of which, let's move on to the youngest, Monkey D. Luffy. Luffy is a 7-year-old boy with shaggy black hair. His special feature was the crescent-shaped scar with three stitches under his left eye. He wore a purple sleeveless shirt, blue cargo shorts with white cuffs, and a pair of sandals. But what sticks out more was Luffy's treasured straw hat with a red band, which he was clutching tightly over his head while he lies on the grass, sulking.

"By the way, the treasure we were keeping in the forest is gone," Ace said, crossing his arms.

Luffy didn't respond. His only reaction was silent sobs.

Recently, Ace, Luffy, and their late brother, Sabo, were working together to prepare for the day that they would go out to sea and live the life of free men — Pirates. To do so, the trio honed their survival skills by hunting large wild beasts, fighting street thugs, stealing from nobles, and saving up money to fund their voyage. However, they barked up the wrong tree when they decided to steal money from a crew of vicious pirates. The Bluejam Pirates. Fearing that their treasure stash may have been compromised, Ace and Sabo relocated every last doubloon with haste. Unfortunately, Luffy was stupid enough to get captured by the pirates, who later began torturing Luffy for information. But he never spoke. Ace and Sabo considered the possibility, and stormed in to rescue their little brother.

After the incident, the boys managed to escape with their lives, but Luffy was nearly traumatized from the painful experience he just had. But he was able to keep a brave face.

Unfortunately, that incident was just the prologue to another tragedy.

To the North of their forest playground was the Gray Terminal, a scrap yard full of criminals and dirty dealings to go with them. Beyond that was a city with a high, solid stone wall, handily keeping the nearby criminals at arm's length. Beyond the wall lies many residential building which houses those with noble blood.