Ch-1|That woman

"Indeed I am near" (2:186)

3:00 PM

HOME

"WELCOME BACK TO BAGHDAD, COUSIN. READY TO DIVE INTO THE HEART OF INTRIGUE AND DANGER?!" Mir's gruff voice echoed through the small room. "You aren't." he confirmed his suspicion, crossing his arms.

Kasim had spent barely a month at his aunt's residence in Baghdad. Amusingly, Mir's carefree sleeping habits gave Kasim the audacious thought of involving his cousin in the storm he'd waited years to ignite. But he knew better than to utter such a thing to Mir.

"Cut me some slack, would you? I was just thinking about my fate," Kasim retorted, adjusting the belt of his tunic.

Mir straightened up, leaning against the brick wall adorned with intricate mandala designs. "Alright, but what's our plan for today, Akh?" he asked lazily, yawning.

Kasim scoffed, "I presume, my brother, you don't want to stroll the market shirtless and tarnish your reputation." He tossed a burgundy shirt toward Mir, his eyes briefly tracing the scar on his cousin's back. His expression turned dark with unspoken memories.

Mir caught the shirt and rolled his eyes as he put it on. "You were promoted to the ranks of a general this very morning, and you're already boasting," he pouted, causing Kasim to cringe.

"Composing himself, Kasim headed towards the door. He turned yet again, his tone becoming sarcastic. "And rather than letting your words run, let your ears and eyes take the lead for today," he said, "we have places to roam"

Mir smirked, brushing off the remark. "Lead the way, General."

Souk

They stepped out into the bustling streets of Baghdad, the city was alive with the sounds and smells of the marketplace. Vendors shouted their wares, children darted through the crowds, and the air was thick with the scent of spices and roasting meat.

Kasim and Mir moved through the throng, their eyes scanning the stalls. Kasim's mind was on the rare herbs he needed, while Mir's focus was on staying alert for any signs of trouble.

As they approached a shadowy stall tucked away from the main thoroughfare, a cloaked figure caught Kasim's eye. The person was petite, moving with an unusual grace and determination. Intrigued, Kasim watched as the figure deftly exchanged coins for a small vial of dark liquid.

"Interesting," Kasim murmured, edging closer. Mir followed, curiosity piqued.

Pretending to browse a selection of dried herbs, Kasim observed the cloaked figure now examining a collection of sharp, glinting objects—spikes, darts, and small daggers—carefully selecting each item with a discerning eye.

He couldn't resist engaging. He was a moth drawn to fire. Usually he would have pretended to not see anything, but the way this woman conversed with the vendor was unsettling and unique, "You have a keen eye for weaponry," he said casually, picking up a finely crafted dagger. The vendor moved away to give them space while sparing a glance towards the woman.

The cloaked figure stiffened, then turned slightly towards him, the hood obscuring their face. "It's a necessity," came the soft reply, a voice tinged with an air of authority that belied the simplicity of the cloak.

Kasim smirked, sensing an opportunity. "Not many would venture here for such... specific items. I wonder what brings you to this part of the market?"

The figure hesitated, then slowly pushed back the hood, revealing a young woman with striking gold like brown eyes her face and hair was adorned with a Khimar. Despite her common attire, there was an unmistakable aura of sovereignty about her.