Chapter 1: Melancholy night

The night had been a somber one, everyone had worn out from endless training wether that be fire bending or just preparing for war in general. Zuko had recently joined the gaang however I don't see why he should be forgiven this easy. I lay awake in my bed tossing and turning relentlessly. The warm breeze didn't help. I look over at Sokka, Toph and Aang who were clearly fast asleep. I don't understand this uncanny feeling, it's depth of sadness but also rage and frustration. Also, the desire to weep everything out.

While being lost in my thoughts, a dark figure approaches. My heart raced, however this outline was someone familiar. Zuko. What was he doing at this time of nightfall? I close my eyes pretending to be asleep.

"Katara?'' a husky voice asked.
'Yes, Zuko?' I respond in a tiresome tone.
"Why are you awake?" He asks.
'I could ask you the same thing.' I say.
"Truthfully, Katara what seems to be bothering you'' he says as he whispers to me.
I wasn't expecting sweetness from him.
"You expect me to confined in you, but I remember what you did the previous time I did.''
"I've changed for the better, I'm sorry i didn't apologise to you personally. I value your friendship and trust Katara. Please forgive me.''
I was also not expecting a sincere apology from him either. I remained silent for a few minutes processing everything he just confessed to me.
"Zuko I think we should talk about this somewhere else." As I saw Toph beginning to move and notice our presence. Zuko walked beside me over to the fountain that was glistening in the moonlight. As I finally break the comfortable silence as I say "I'm sorry I treated you unfairly Zuko, I just seem to be feeling so out of touch lately I can't shake this feeling." As shocked I am of myself forgiving Zuko my gut is telling me I need to cut him off some slack.

"You. Katara, are the light, the beacon of hope for Aang. But why don't you see that you Katara are incredibly valuable and talented."
Zuko turns me around from gazing into the moon to face him directly.
"You don't recognise your beauty and power Katara and that is what I adore of you. You seem so determined.''
I smile a little taken aback at his compliments. A small smile crept upon his face too.
"Zuko, I'm flattered by your compliments. But, I hope you understand it's hard being the one person who consoles everyone all the time. It's sort of overkill."
"I understand, you haven't been loved enough, you feel the burden of everyone's expectations. Believe me I get it, being the Firelord's son created more disadvantages then advantages for me in the long run."
"But know this, all I want to do Katara is show you my desire, show you that I actually care and feel the same way you feel. We're more similar than you think."  Zuko admits.
"I sort of feel this connection that something is missing, and it's you." I admit. "Now that I don't hate you. I say.
I hug Zuko, i gave him the biggest hug ever. I can tell he needed reassurance but most importantly my truth. I want him to know I'll be there when he needs me.
We both return back to bed, when we both drift off into a dream.

• • •

The blue spirit enters, drawing attention on his rugged appearance. As the Painted Lady emerged from the sky, revealing the face of Katara.
"Zuko?"
"Katara?"
"You also have a spirit form of yourself?" I say in shock.
"Yes I do, as I said we are a lot more similar then you think, how did you obtain yours?"
"The Painted Lady gave me her spirit powers when I tried to save a village. As she said I could only bill hours in this form, how about yours?"
"I used this spirit form to free Aang when he was captured by my dad's army, that sounds ridiculous now I think of it."
"It's not ridiculous, it's just you." I say. He smiles.
"Katara, my heart burns for your approval, I need your inner fire." He pulls me close whilst confessing his feelings. As I put my arms around him and lean in, his lips brush mine like silk. His golden eyes pierce through me as if he knew every minuscule detail about me. I glare back at him with the same ocean blue eyes. As he mumbled "I love your eyes." He pulls me in tighter not ready to let go while kissing my cheek. His kissing is full of desire and want. However, every kiss was so soft as if I was so fragile. We pulled away after what seemed like forever, as he stroked my face while saying, "What did I do to deserve you." His turned his face to the ground, as I lifted it with my hand and say "You are deserving you have changed your destiny for the better, your uncle would be proud."

The weariness of this fever dream began to disintegrate leaving both of us in a deep restful sleep.