58. Love Ruins All

The throne room holding all the priests, dukes, marquises, ministers and alphas witnessed the  vanquishment of Xavier Lancaster, the King of Wicref. No, he hadn't lost his title, wealth or health. Only he had squandered something far more valuable. Something the men and women there could not imagine living their lives without.
The King had lost his bespoke companion, his rapture and most importantly, his Queen.

Xavier walked past Ariana, who hadn't budged from her place.

Each step carried him away from her and towards the entrance. On the way, he was foolishly expecting her to call out his name. Even after all of this, he was still waiting for her to stop him and say that she was choosing him over everyone and everything. 

But she didn't. He kept on walking and she didn't do anything.
Tattles of her hardheartedness were being agreed upon inside mind-links among the people.

On the other side beyond the audience's comprehension, Ariana was blinking back her tears. She was ceaselessly reminding herself that she had taken the rational pick. Yet the ache inside her wasn't subsiding at all.

"Do nothing against your deepest wish, human. End your suffering once and for all by choosing who you truthfully desire. Even if it's Xavier." Saoirse, her loyal second self, advised.

When Ariana considered doing so, her thoughts immediately went back to Sean. It would kill her to betray him.
"Xavier is my mate. I am upset to lose him, naturally. I'm not made of stones. But I have chosen Sean. It's action that matters." She replied sternly.

"Then let's go from here. Sean is waiting for you."

"You're right." said Ariana.
She was about to make a exit when Duchess Lily bawled, "You are making the biggest mistake of your life, Ariana! Leaving your mate to be with a human who could never measure up!"

"I refuse to engage myself in this matter anymore." Ariana replied tiredly.

"He did all of this for your sake. To protect you from- "

Duke Lorenzo placed his hand on her shoulder to prevent her from speaking further. "Remember that Xavier has an agreement with the Vampires." He mind-linked her.

"If he had, he would have blamed everything on them. But he didn't. He didn't say anything at all. So, let me tell the truth."

The duchess approached Ariana and pointed towards the exit to make her look there.

"You see that massive wooden door? What do you see there? I will tell you what you see. A herald, who always stands on his spot and gloriously announces King Xavier's every arrival. But do you know what Xavier sees? He sees the Vampire assassin dumping the lifeless body of his mother after sucking her dry right on that corner."

After a pause, she continued. "Fortunately Queen Xianna had a very tidy death. Contrary to King Victor, whose body had been lying on a pool of blood, when Xavier had hurried to the courtyard upon being notified of his father's tenth suicide attempt just yesterday."

Ariana's eyes widened.

"Yes, Ariana. King Victor was alive all this time. He had gone insane over his dead mate and left the kingdom and his own son to rot. That would be Xavier's condition if you ever die."

Duchess Lily's upper lip were quivering. "It is rather simple and obvious, is it not? He did everything for the kingdom and especially for you! He felt as if he didn't have any other option. Those vampires have been targeting the reigning monarch's mate for generations.  He would rather Persephone be killed instead..."

Ariana silently listened to everything as the Duchess continued revealing the truth.
At that moment, she felt completely defeated. She realized that while Sean had her heart, Xavier owned her soul. It didn't matter which man won her. She was losing nevertheless.