-Chapter One - Flash-Backs from the Future

Anara Elementresia

          I strolled through the Bustling city streets of New York City, glancing at the tall skyscrapers glinting, mesmerizingly in the sun. I had made the worst decision, choosing to wear full sleeves, leggings and a jacket in this heat. It has only been two days since I moved here to New York from England, and the differences are making it harder for me to try and not regret the huge move. Not only was it the heat but it was also the terminology that made life harder. The inches and fahren height used here is gibberish, compared to the Celsius and the metric system we used in England.

         I stopped walking to pull out my iPhone 11. The moment I grabbed hold of my phone, I felt the bone-crushingly heavy weight of something , or someone pushing me over. I fell on the harsh, concrete ground, the body of the person flattening me down like wrinkled paper, the sound of my silver glasses skidding across the street. Suddenly, the weight of what felt like 50 elephants got lifted, and I felt like an insignificant leaf at a park that just got stepped-on. The figure quickly dusted themselves off before gasping and helping me up. Once I was sitting up, she extended her arm, holding out her hand for me to grab and pull myself up. I gave her my hand and she tugged me to my feet, leading me into a small café nearby.

        Dusting myself off, I looked up to see an averagely tall girl, with long oak brown hair weaved into two neat plaits resting on her shoulders, tied with bluebell-blue ribbons. The ribbons matched her bluebell-blue, half sleeved tunic, with black pants and pair of oak brown, ankle height boots to finish off the look. She looked at me head to toe, with a frown painted on her face and a concerned look clouded her bluebell-blue eyes. My once silky straight, black hair was now disturbed and was all over my light brown face. I was wearing a brown, full sleeved tunic, with a black leather jacket tied around my waist. My legs were sweating, under my sweat-soaked black leggings, with some brown ankle-knee-high boots to match my tunic. 

          "You're definitely not from here are you?" ,She asked, with a questioning face, " Did you come here from England?". I was shocked at how she found out, not that it wasn't obvious I wasn't from here. "Yes, how did you know?" I asked, sounding very confused. " A few years ago, I made the exact same mistake. I'm Amy by the way, it's nice to meet you!, uh, ...''She drifted off, waiting for me to introduce myself. "I'm Anara, Anara Elementresia." I replied, holding out my hand for her to shake. She happily shook it, my hands were cold from the sweat but she didn't mind. Her eyes grew a bit wide as it looked like realisation took over her face. She let go and felt her pockets, looking for something. "Oh, here!" She exclaimed, handing me my now broken silver glasses, "Sorry, It got stepped on by other people. Rule Number One, never stop on the streets of New York." She gave me a weak smile, the tiniest scold in her voice. 

         I took the spectacles, the left side of the frame now broken, and the right lens was now gone. I panicked on the inside, feeling a bit guilty and stupid. Of course!, my thoughts scolded me, I should've known that, and now we have spent more money on my glasses, after we just moved here. The guilt grows as I try to shove them away. Amy noticed this and looked at me concerned. "Can you see without them?, if you want I can help you catch a bus home?." She said, offering help sympathetically. I shake out of my trance, looking up to smile at her. "No, It's fine, I can see clearly enough to go home, thank you though!." I replied to her, she let out a breath of relief as awkward silence took over the room. The sounds of cutlery, people chatting and traffic outside filled it. I could practically feel people staring at us. " Well, I've got things to do and places to be, see ya, and sorry again for your glasses. Safe travels!." Amy says as she waves goodbye, giving another apologetic smile before disappearing into the busy city streets. 

        🌑

          I stood there, on the pristine, marble floors of our apartment hallway, surrounded by navy blue walls occupied with doors. The guilt slowly fills the endless abyss in my stomach. I take one deep breath, looking down at my feet, before rummaging the keys from my brown, owl embroidered satchel. I fish out the small, black metal key with a golden outline, from my bag. Looking up at the large, 7'5 door, I carefully put the key in the perfectly fitting golden lock and turned it, hearing the lock click before opening the pristine white door, and stepping in. I was greeted by my older 19 year old cousin; Laura, yelling at her younger five year old brother Liam for climbing on furniture. I watched awkwardly. Cereal was scattered all over the navy blue carpeted floor of our small apartment house. Multiple toy aeroplanes invaded our space, and the short, curly blonde hair, carefully placed on top of the small boy's head was hidden under an army Sargent's hat. Chocolate, smudged on his pout covered face. Laura's calm, brown hair was resting on her squared shoulders, a scold painted on her face.