Prolouge

I run through the woods, they're onto me. My hair streams behind me like a waterfall. Unlike the un-human Peacekeepers, with their white as lead suits, their dark helmets, like an abyss, where nothing exists after. Nothing exsits in the Capitol, the dictator of Pamen, they're as good as dead, to us. The slaves of the law. The hair stands up on my arms, the authorities will be on me anytimes. I slid under a loose chain in the fence and ran. I'm an outlaw now, there's no turning back. My bow & arrow feel heavy on my shoulders. I clutch the game I caught in my hands. So hard that the rabbit's claws dig into my palms, making even more scars. I don't even flinch, if I slow down, even for a minute, my family is dead. I took off down a dark alley. I put all my things in a damp wooden box, the last thing 'mam left me before she died. Ever since then, that one day when I was 10, I've been the head of the family. I have a 'pop, but he's as good as nothing now. He drinks and litterally lives at the bar.

I run home, my little sister, Ruelle (Rue) throws her arms around me. She's so innocent, amber eyes, dark brown curly hair, just like my 'pop. So innocent. "Today's the Reaping!" she says, her missing teeth showing. My blood runs cold. Last year, I lost my best friend to it. This year I don't think I can stand being there, to see everyone else suffer as someone is thrown away from their grasp, someone they love, sent to their deaths. This year, I could be chosen. I applied for 5 tessares, one for each one of my siblings.