Silk Covered

"Oh, there you are."

The voice came out as white noise beside you. The voice that usually brought joy now greeted you with embarrassment and a tinge of regret. You were zoning out, and now you're coming back.

Your latest attempt to help your friend backfired and caused a lot of harm... the Daily Bugle will have a field day once word gets out of your disastrous blunder.

Rain starts to fall, and the city below twinkles in surreal shades of all colors. Bright and moving, the lights are like cybernetic stars. But, unfortunately, the beauty is tainted by bitter memories and sore muscles— That's without mentioning the taste of iron still burning along your tongue.

You crawled closer to the edge and thought about running away from the conversation that was certainly lingering in the mind of your tutor. You hear them clear their throat behind you, no doubt moving closer in case you decide to pull another idiotic move.

You loomed close to the edge, but you knew better than to try to escape the web-slinger behind you. They'd hardly break a sweat giving chase to someone in the condition such as yourself. Silk was a superior spider in more ways than one, and you were sure you couldn't handle any other muck up in front of them.

  "Here I am," you murmur, hiding the pain in your voice with a chuckle. Unfortunately, the laughter gives way to an explosion of pain to shoot through your whole body. "Here I am..."

  "That...was an interesting way of handling things, you know?" The voice drew closer, muffled slightly by the mask that kept their identity hidden. "Not something Parker would have liked..." She said Parker's name under her breath like she muttering his name might summon him to the rooftop.

  "What can I say? My tutor always said it was better to think and act fast— didn't think about...thinking things through completely..." You stumble over your words. Apparently, you weren't thinking straight now, either.

  "Yeah..." the muffled voice said, this time only a few feet away. "But your tutor would probably feel pretty sucky if that advice got you killed. Just a thought, though."

You feel a fist rub against your shoulder. You take off the mask of the Midnight Spider and feel the cool breeze brush your face. The cuts burn, and the bruises throb. "I'm sorry, Cindy."

  "I'm not one to poke fun at you," Silk said. "And please, when my mask is on, refer to me as my hero name, yeah?"

  "Right. Sorry, Silk."

  "There we go," she chuckled and plopped close to you. "Now...How's the face? How's anything?"

  "I'm not sure which took a harder beating. The ego or the body," you look at Cindy Moon and feel another hard pinch of embarrassment. It was hard to judge what she was thinking, with her face half covered and her eyes dulled by the night.

  "We all fall," Cindy slides closer, your shoulders rub, and she finally pulls down her mask. She's unscathed by the royal screw-up you did when you gave chase to the robbers to their hideout. "It's about how you get back up that matters the most."

You felt Cindy Moon's body heat radiate through her suit. It was easy since your suit wasn't just torn but was utterly lost in some parts where an explosive burned through the fabric. "I get it...but you know what it's like— after a screw-up of that scale, how else are you supposed to feel?"

Cindy thinks. She wasn't Peter Parker, and advice didn't come to her ask quickly as it did for him. She was relatively new to this hero business and just as new to dealing with people. "It gets easier," she manages. "Wait— no...it doesn't... but you learn how to work around it better."