Chapter 1

He slowly awoke from a deep sleep. Even before he opened his eyes, he could tell something was off just by the feeling of cold earth beneath him and the breeze on his face. Once he did, however, he was even more confused.

He found himself lying on the forest floor surrounded by trees. Through the branches shone a good deal of sunlight, stinging his eyes. Looking down at himself, his heart rate increasing, he found he was dressed in an unzipped red sweatshirt, a plain black t-shirt, a pair of blue jeans, and hiking boots. None of these were clothing items he could remember owning, with the exception of maybe the jeans. Reaching up to his neck, he felt a metal band wrapped snugly around it, though not tight enough to restrict breathing. Right next to where his head had been lying, there was a full black backpack, which he also couldn't remember owning. On the front of the backpack was sown a white patch with 3 black letters, "IDC." Opening it up, he found a high number of individually bagged sandwiches and a box of granola bars. The fact that he wouldn't starve was comforting, although the situation as a whole still unnerved him.

After a minute or so of gathering his senses, he noticed in the distance what appeared to be the sound of a river flowing. Hoping it would lead to somewhere he could recognize, he followed it. The trek proved quite difficult due to the thickly grown vegetation and lack of any clear path.

Eventually, he reached the river. It wasn't too large, probably about 10 feet wide and 2 feet deep, he estimated. Standing on its banks, he looked off into the distance and saw large mountains rising out over the horizon in both directions. He recognized this forest, but he had no idea how had ended up there. He knew people didn't just teleport, so either he had come here under his own will, or someone had placed him here.

Suddenly, he heard a sound that made his heart stop.

"Hey!"

He turned around and saw a man who had apparently walked out from the trees about 100 or so feet up away from him. The fear subsided and was replaced with relief at seeing another human being.

"Who are you?" The man called out, hurrying towards him.

"W-who am I?"

"Yeah, are you a hiker or something?"

The man looked to be a couple of years older than him and about the same height and build with short, blond hair. He also had a red sweatshirt, black t-shirt, pair of blue jeans, black backpack, and hiking boots, although his sweatshirt was tied around his waist. Looking closer, he too had the same black band around his neck.

"Uh...yeah, I'm a hiker." He didn't want to tell him the truth since really, no sane person would believe that. "You?"

"I know I'm going to sound insane," the man shook his head, "but I just woke up over in the trees, and I don't know where I am or how I got here. Would you by any chance know how to get out of here so I can get home?"

He couldn't believe what he had heard.

"I...I just...so did I." he said "I-I lied, I'm not a hiker. I woke up a little way through the trees. I don't know where we are anymore than you."

The man's brow furrowed in apparent confusion.

"You're serious? You're not messing with me?"

"Why would I lie about something like that? Plus, we're both wearing the same clothes. Maybe the same people put us here."

"Why would they do that?"

"Your guess is as good as mine. Hey, what's in your bag?"

The man took off his backpack and opened it up.