intro + disclaimer

CONTENT WARNINGS

This story will contain themes such as abuse, racism*, homophobia, gore, murder, torture, psychological manipulation, mental illness... the whole bag with the exception of sexual assault. There's probably more that I've forgotten to list, but that's the gist of it.

* The racism is more in the sense of Quirks than anything, but I'm just being safe because it'll still be the same -- harassment, hate crimes, psychological build-up of guilt and feelings of lesserness, etc.

DISCLAIMER

I don't own My Hero Academia. This story does follow the main MHA storyline, but there is an original plot integrated (to keep it from being too boring and to develop my characters in reasonable ways without detracting from the canon characters' developments). Huy Linh Vo, Tobi Yamako, Shiho, and any other characters you can't find on the MHA Wiki belong to yours truly.

SERIES ORDER

As mentioned in the description, it is a part of the MIRROR series, but it can be read as a standalone novel. Chronologically, this is the third book in the series, with the order as follows:

BOOK 0 // FRAGMENT [UNPUBLISHED]

BOOK 1 // MIRAGE [UNPUBLISHED]

BOOK 2 // SCOPE [UNPUBLISHED]

BOOK 3 // REFRACT

But you can read it in any order that you'd like. However, for the best suspense, plot twists, and realizations, it should be read in this order:

BOOK 3 // REFRACT

BOOK 1 // MIRAGE

BOOK 2 // SCOPE

BOOK 0 // FRAGMENT

This is because REFRACT is the main story, and the other three are spin-offs. MIRAGE is the prequel to REFRACT, SCOPE occurs during the same time as MIRAGE, and FRAGMENT takes place before our main characters are even born.

They all work as standalones, for the most part. This one is the main novel, but if you want to understand everything that happens in here, MIRAGE would be the other one to read. The order doesn't really matter that much, though MIRAGE is certainly more lighthearted and easier to digest.

Sorry if the explanation is lengthy. My goal with this series is to put a fresher, darker, more realistic take on the MHA storyline. Not without humor, though. This story is aimed towards more mature audiences, with political intonations and a notable lack of fanservice.

Thanks for reading through this.

Welcome to REFRACT.