Chapter x 8 [Book 2]

"Killua, darling..." Gon cooed, rubbing a hot-soaked towel against his head.

Killua blinked slowly, his eyes opening to blurry images.

"Ah... I can't believe I let that happen..." Killua groaned.

But Killua looked up at Gon, his vision becoming more stable. His husband was still tense, his aura leaking. He was drained, and overall tired.

"The man got away... and he left the woman and butler behind, in bad shape..." Gon grumbled.

"Calm down..." Killua said in a soothing voice. He extended his arm and rubbed Gon's shoulders and flexed his muscles. "We'll patch them up in a bit, and have someone take care of them."

Gon's face gradually softened, relaxing.

"I'm sorry... I just..." Gon said gently.

"No, no," Killua smiled.

Gon nodded, his lips pursed.

"I love you," Killua grinned.

"I love you too—" Gon was cut off by Killua's screams.

"Gon, look out!" Killua warned, his hand grabbing Gon's arm to pull him down. But it was too late. He was too exhausted to move fast enough, and Gon would never be able to dodge in time in his state.

Bang.

A gunshot went off, ringing loudly through Killua's ears.

Killua gasped, sitting up and looking over, grabbing Gon's shoulders.

"Gon? Gon!" Killua panicked.

"He deserved that..." a voice was heard behind Gon.

The woman was standing up, her face all bruised and beat, holding up a pistol pointed at Gon.

She cackled loudly. "Die." But that was the last word she said, before falling down, going unconscious.

Killua's attention turned back to Gon, whose eyes were still, his mouth slightly opened. With his vision flashing black, Gon looked down, a bullet hole right through his stomach, blood spewing out from the area.

Suddenly, his consciousness faded as his head fell against Killua's chest.

"Gon!" Killua's eyes went wide, his fingers reaching to his neck to check Gon's pulse.

Killua examined the wound. Luckily, the bullet dodged important internal organs. But, if he didn't get treatment now, he might be injured permanently.

Killua grabbed Gon's legs and swung them around his arm, carrying him bridal-style.

"I should be able to get him to a hospital in about two minutes..." Killua thought, shaking off his dizziness, and charging his aura up.

"But will I have enough strength to get him there?"

...

Krystal sat silently on a black chair on the outside of Gon's hospital room. Just an hour ago, she felt like she was finally happy. She had a family. But just like that, her happiness was gone. But she wasn't the only one who was upset.

Killua sat next to Krystal, his head hanging sadly.

The doctors told Killua that Gon's condition was critical, as the shot punctured several nerves linking to his legs, as well as piercing through his spine.

He was told Gon may never be able to walk again.

Killua sat silently, tears starting to come down.

"Please tell me he'll be okay..."

...

Several hours later, the doctor told Killua that they would have to perform surgery, in order to have a shot at getting Gon the ability to walk again. Killua and Krystal were told to go home for the night, so they could get some rest.

And so they did. They got home and walked through a big hole (where the door was once standing), both with miserable expressions on their faces.

"Big brother!" Alluka rushed to Killua's side as soon as she saw him. "I heard fighting! What happened?" she asked, looking at both Krystal and Killua's heartbroken looks.

"...Where's other big brother? Gon?" Alluka asked, looking around the room and peeking behind them.

"I failed to protect him..." Killua said, his lips pressing against each other. "Again."

Killua curled his knuckles in frustration, a wave of sorrow sweeping over him.

"He'll be okay though, right?" Krystal looked at Killua with hopeful eyes. "Like you told me earlier?"

"Yes... of course," Killua forced out a smile. "Let's get you to bed now, and we'll see how he's doing tomorrow, okay?"

...

Killua sat on his (and Gon's) bed, his face somber. He already missed his husband, even though it had only been a few hours.

"Big brother?" Alluka knocked on the door, letting herself in.

"Hi, Alluka," Killua replied, looking up at his little sister with the most comforting face he could put on.

Alluka sat down next to him, as Killua looked down, his eyes watering.

"Would you... like Nanika to help?" Alluka placed her hand on Killua's.

"Yes, Alluka... can you please ask Nanika to come out?" Killua asked, with a slight quiver in his voice.

"Hi Killua," Nanika whispered.

"Nanika..." Killua murmured.

"Please... will you help me?"

"Heal my husband."

"Gon."