Chapter Fifteen - The Devil Doesn't Settle

“STEP AWAY FROM THE DOOR!” The officer's muffled voice soon came through the door, “I'M GOING TO SHOOT THE LOCK”

Steph quickly backed away from the door, going over to stand next to Nate. Sure enough, a gunshot rang out, causing both Nate and Stephanie to flinch before the door was pushed open.

“Are you two alright?” Nate recognized the voice.

“Officer Derek?” The ebony's eyes widened slightly.

“At your service” he gave a small tip of his hat before grabbing his radio, “A1 to dispatch” he then pushed briefly as there was a response, “I need a 10-67 to my location immediately”

Once dispatch gave a response, the officer then went over to where Nate was handcuffed to the pipe, “You alright, Mr. Smith?” he asked as he grabbed his keys from his belt before beginning to unlock the handcuffs.

“I've been better” Nate replied once he was free, rubbing his wrists a bit, “how did you know to look for us?”

“A male came into the station a few days ago and said that if you didn't turn up anywhere by today to start looking for you”

Nate's eyes widened slightly, “Did he give you his name by any chance?” he asked, secretly hoping it was who he thought it was.

“According to the report he filed, his name is Hunter Hughes”

Nate froze. He could already feel tears brimming his eyes. “Has Hunter been seen since he made the report?”

“Not that I'm aware of, no” Officer Derek replied as he began walking up the stairs, helping Stephanie as he did so, “Why?”

“I have reasons to believe that Matt paid somebody to kill him..” Nate replied, shaking his head a bit to clear it.

Officer Derek nodded, “alright, I'll have dispatch send an officer to his house to do a wellness check”

By now, the three of them were outside where the wailing of a siren could be heard in the distance. Looking around, Nate froze as he saw Matt in the back of a police car.

When the brunette caught sight of him. Matt began throwing his shoulder against the window, trying to break free.

“You ok?” Nate heard Stephanie ask once she noticed he had froze up, “he's in cuffs now” she gave a small smile as she put a hand on his shoulder, “he won't be able to hurt you anymore”

Looking at Matt for a moment longer, Nate eventually tore his gaze away from the car and looked at Steph, giving her a tiny smile, “I know” he replied.

Stephanie gave him a smile before she was led over to the ambulance that was slowing to a stop in front of the house. Nate, meanwhile, went over to Officer Derek who was talking into his radio. The ebony waited until the blonde male was done before speaking up.

“What's going to happen to him?” he asked, motioning towards the car that Matt was in.

“well, he's got two charges of kidnapping over his head and at least one, possibly two if what you said about Hunter is true, cases of murder” the blonde explained, “So he'll be going behind bars for a good while”

Nodding in understanding, Nate ran a hand through his hair with a small sigh, “alright, thank you” he gave a small yet warm smile.

“Why don't you get checked out by the paramedics” Officer Derek suggested, “you've got one nasty bruise on your arm” he added motioning towards Nate's arm.

Nodding once more, Nate turned and walked over to the ambulance where the paramedics were just finishing up bandaging Stephanie's side.

Eventually, Nate's arm was in a sling. He was told to go to the hospital to have X-rays done, but the paramedics were pretty confident that his arm was broken, at the very least sprained.

With a small sigh, Nate gave a nod of thanks to the paramedics before standing up. He then froze as he heard yelling.

Looking up, Nate's eyes widened as he saw Matt had gotten free of both the police car and cuffs and now had a gun to a female officer's head.