chapter one

The early morning breeze blew  harshly against her soft fair  skin as she made her way to the kitchen adjourning the house,she picked up the broom in one swift movement making plans to begin her first chore for the day,she hurriedly  swept through the compound after which she picked up the three empty twenty liters Jerricans lying carelessly at the side of the house into the wheelbarrow.

As she rode it off to the community tap,one could hear the sound of the  already Ricket piece of instrument which has seen Better days echoing in the neighborhood.

Ivie"she heard her name from a distance.

Without turning to see who the caller was she already knew it was amenze her childhood friend.

Watin dey worry this fish no be you I dey call"she called out again  using the popular pigin English.

Must I answer you"she fired back playfully.

"Of course na, or is it because that new boy in our class is  liking you, you now think i'm your mate" she said giving Ivie a coy smile

Ivie mentally facepalm  and rolled her eyes at the camel she calls a friend.

"Madam where did you get  that from" she asked surprised at such discovery

"Are you telling me you don't notice the way he stares at you during classes" she said clapping her hands and dramatically dropping them on her waist a gesture she  was fond of whenever she was  dishing out interesting gists.

"Amenze!!!!"ivie exclaimed.

"So instead of you to concentrate in class you were busy looking at him to know where his attention was, well na you Sabi" she yabbed in vanacular.

They walked the remaining distance talking endlessly about the recent happening in school more especially about their forth coming exam,
Ivie heart skipped a bit when she learnt that the deadline for the enrollment was just two weeks away and yet her father hasn't said anything concerning it and anytime she brought it up her step mother never fails to make a mockery of her,  "how can  someone who Doesn't know her left from her right be thinking of enrolling for the "WEST AFRICA EXAMINATION COUNCIL, of what use would it be" she will say.

she would  look  her father in the eyes pleading for him  to come to her aid yet all he does was to shrugged, indeed he has become a puppet in the hands of the woman he married after loosing her mother to the cold hand of death shortly after childbirth

She had thought of informing her maternal aunty; Aunt Maris,she knows she would be of great help,she had never turned her down and would do anything to make life comfortable for her.

Later that morning in school####

James stepped lazily out of the car,he had no interest whatsoever in going to school today but his aunt will hear nothing of it,he didn't like it here in his new school maybe because he hasn't made any friends,gosh he so much missed going to school with his sisters and misses his best friend Tricia.

"James be a good boy" his aunt called out as she blew him kisses

He cringed at the sight of her doing that,she is so much similar with his mom they both love been touchy and all that mushy mushy stuff but he wasn't a fan of it..

"Good morning senior" a group of juniors greeted

"Morning" he replied cheerfully giving them a warm smile

He could hear them giggles to themselves at his response

"He is so cuteee" the first girl emphasized

"I think he should be in S.S2" the second girl added