Chapter One: You should let people finish their morning coffee

The Londonien spy agency's office was already bustling so early in the morning. Employees were running around, carrying huge piles of paper or on the run to call a technician because some gadgets were malfunctioning. Amongst them, standing against the grey wall of the coffee machine, was James Meryton.

He was a tall dark haired gentleman in his late twenties. His blue eyes were scanning the room, it was one of his work habits, he had to be alert in any situation. But seeing that no one was in immediate danger, obviously, he started sipping his coffee. The black beverage was always something he needed if he wanted to start his day well. As an extra he had not slept well the previous night, the bitter taste of the coffee was something to appreciate and that would help him stay awake and in good condition.

Meanwhile, at the other side of the room, was Rosa Thompson. She was a young girl, just turned eighteen, short brown hair framing her face, she was consulting some document she had just received. Her grey eyes were reading the pages as fast as they could, she did not like paperwork. It wasn't what she had signed for when she enrolled in this agency two years ago. But no matter what she had to modify them, after all it was part of the job too, she had learned that during her express formation a year ago.

She sighed and began to work, but not two minutes after, the voice of her boss was cutting through the noise of the rumbling office.

"Meryton and Thompson, my office! Now!"

Both agents looked at each other in surprise, they had never really talked to each other. But they at least knew one another thanks to their reputation, they were considered as some of the best agents in their field. The two began to walk toward the director's office, Thompson, glad to leave her paperwork, and Meryton, annoyed that he could not finish his coffee peacefully.

Mr.Reynolds was waiting, sitting behind his desk. He was fifty-five, maybe more, his hair was greyish and his face was mined with deep wrinkles, signs of a full and dangerous life.

"James, Rosa, I've got a mission for the two of you," Mr. Reynolds began, his tone businesslike. "There have been reports of an arms dealer operating in Eastern Europe. We suspect he's planning a major sale that could help terrorist organisations that are targeting england. We need you to infiltrate his operation and gather intel."

Both agents exchanged a look at each other, this operation was incredibly dangerous, and the mission given to them extremely important. James couldn't help but glance at Rosa, his scepticism evident in his eyes. "Sir, with all due respect, Rosa here is relatively new to the field. I've been in this line of work for years, and I'm not sure she's ready for such a high-stakes mission."

Rosa was extremely pissed at Meryton, this guy was thinking that she could not get a job done properly. Plus his tone was transpiring pride. But unfortunately for her it was common for her to be underestimated by her colleagues. She was indeed young and was lacking experience but she was talented and convinced she could do whatever she would set her mind too. Her grey eyes seemed to darkened but as she was about to answer, Mr.Reynolds spoke.

"James, I understand your concerns, but I picked Rosa for this mission with all the care in the world. She possesses a unique set of skills that make her a valuable asset. Don't underestimate her capabilities based on her experience alone. I'm sure you've already heard of her, am I right?"

" Yes I have indeed, I'm sorry I questioned your judgement sir." He stated. But as he crossed his arms, Rosa could see from the disquiet look on his face that he was not convinced by their boss' little speech. He had obviously grown accustomed to relying on his own expertise, and the idea of working with someone he thought inexperienced didn't sit well with him.

Mr. Reynolds, not fooled by his agent, continued, his voice firm. "Rosa has shown exceptional dedication and resourcefulness in her training. She's a quick learner and has a sharp intuition. I believe she can surprise you. However, James, you don't have any choice regarding this decision. Understood?"

" Yes sir!" James sighed, reluctantly accepting the director's decision.

Mr.Reynolds dismissed them and observed the two walking out of the office. The middle aged man was unsure of his decision but he couldn't have managed to put anybody else on this mission. James And Rosa were his two best elements and this mission had to be a success. The prime minister himself had paid a visit to Reynolds in order to explain to him that this intervention could not be a failure, the safety of Britain was in their hands.

As they walked back in the bustling open-space, Rosa's eyes flickered toward James Meryton, cold looking. Her gaze was interpreted by James as incredibly rude. And it was. Because she thought to herself: I'll show that entitled idiot just how capable I am.

She was young and absolutely determined to prove herself, her blood boiling with determination.

***

In the spacious training gym of their agency, James and Rosa found themselves side by side, preparing for their upcoming mission. The room echoed with the clatter of weights and the sound of their footsteps as they moved with purpose. The two agents had decided to engage in an amicable fight so they could acknowledge each other's capacities.

Rosa adjusted her gloves, her eyes fixed on James as he demonstrated a series of precise punches and kicks, showcasing his impressive combat skills. She couldn't deny his expertise, but she was determined to show him that she was no novice either. Even though this wasn't going to be easy, compared to her, James was massive. His muscles were well built and square. Rosa, her, was of an average height, but her muscles, present but thinner. At least she was thinner and faster, it would be an advantage.

"Alright, Thompson, let's see what you've got," James challenged, his scepticism still present.

Rosa, then, stepped forward, she would not leave too him any opportunity to attack first. She proceeded to unleash a combination of punches and kicks, displaying surprising agility and precision. Her strikes landed with accuracy, and her footwork showed a nimbleness that caught James off guard. But he quickly regained his focus and began to fight as if his opponent was an equal.

The fight going on, Meryton was more and more surprised to see the very special fighting style of Rosa. Her movements were full of grace, light, and seemed effortless like a well-choreographed dance. She was easily standing on her tip-toes to reach higher kicks without losing balance. It was a stark contrast to the raw power and force he was accustomed to see.

Curiosity piqued, James paused momentarily. "You fight like a dancer," he remarked genuinely. Rosa let out a light laugh before regaining her composure. "Funny you should say that. Before I became a spy, I trained to be a professional ballet dancer. Turns out, the discipline and control I learned on the dance floor translated quite well to the art of combat." She said a smirk drew on her lips.

James was a bit taken aback, it wasn't something he was accustomed to. He , in fact, never had considered that the quality of a ballet dancer could apply to a fighter. But he quickly understood that the stretchiness, the strength and the accuracy of the body-control of a dancer were necessary qualities for a fighter.

Their training session continued with a newfound appreciation for each other's abilities. James saw beyond Rosa's youth and little of experience and recognized the strength and finesse in her movements. And Rosa, in turn, witnessed James' unwavering determination and skill, understanding why he was considered one of the best agents in their agency.

As they finished the fight, Rosa wiped a bead of sweat from her brow and extended a hand towards James, a glimmer of camaraderie in her eyes. James hesitated for a moment, then accepted her hand, their palms meeting in a firm handshake. "Despite my initial scepticism, Thompson, I must admit, you've impressed me," James admitted, a genuine smile curling his lips.

Rosa's smirk widened into a satisfied grin. "Don't judge a book by its cover, Meryton. Looks can be deceiving." Even if she was contemplating a way to defeat him during their next training session, she continued, "We might not be the perfect match, Meryton, but I believe we can make this work!"

James nodded with agreement. They were indeed an uncanny match but he could finally comprehend his boss' decision. But a gut feeling made him think further to Rosa's place amongst other agents. His brows furrowed, a spy shall never be eighteen.