one

I wake up to the shouting of my brother downstairs. I hardly slept last night so my eyes take a while to open and adjust to my surroundings. I open my eyes to be face to face with four men walking across a zebra crossing.

It was my beatles poster.

I grab one of my shirts thats laying on the floor and walk downstairs while putting it on.

Paul was screaming on the phone but when he saw me he slowly stopped what he was saying and hung up the phone.

"Who was that?"

"Dad" he says.

Dad left a couple of years ago, just before mum died. After he had heard mum was gone he sent a letter and that was it, he didn't even come to her funeral.

"What did he have to say then?"

"He's off with another bird, goin' somewhere in Europe."

I could see my brothers face fill with anger. Dad was always going off with other women to different countries, at first i thought it was a coping mechanism to get over mum but after a year 'n' a bit i've changed my mind.

"Why were you shouting at him?" i ask.

"We need money for the fuckin' rent cos its due the start of next week and we cant be late paying it again, but that prick can go on holiday with a bird but can't just give us some money for rent"

After mum died we didn't get much money left to us. The money i got i saved, i don't have one clue what Paul did with his, probably spent it all on drugs. We've spent a year or so eating microwave meals or nicking something from a local shop.

I dropped out of college and Paul is relying on his 'band' to get us some money. I've told him a million times he should just get a actual job but he says the same thing every time,
"Nah, our sound is fuckin' electric people will be mad fer' it soon enough"

"I need a job anyways" i say to him.

He looked at me like i was crazy.

"Are you on summat?"

"No" i said.

"You just dropped outta collage your meant to still be in school, and a gal isn't meant to provide for the family." he replies.

I got some cereal and left our cheap home to look for job advertisements.

I was able to find a low paying job to work at a small shop. I mean at least it's summit to do.

★★★

I've never actually met my brothers band yet i know Guigsy of course, he's been one of Paul's mates for ages. We get along well he's a laid back bloke, always viewed him as another brother i suppose. But when i got back home Paul mentioned he's going to play a game of footy with the band soon and Guigsy is coming over.

I head to my room and attempt to tidy. I make my bed and chuck some clothes in the corner and get distracted by a vinyl thats sticking out from underneath my wardrobe. I pick it up and blow on it, dust escapes off the vinyl and shoots in my face.

It's a David Bowie single. Heros.

My dad would sing it to mum and they would dance together. I knew by playing this record my memories would come to play but i couldn't resist.

As i was about place the needle down i heard a knock at the door. That would be Guigsy. I hear mumbles and shouting of effing and jeffing.

I walk down the stairs to be greeted by Guigs. I gave him a hug and offered him a brew.

"We're celebrating tonight Lee" he said to me while Paul was in the other room.

People often shorten my name to Lee, i much prefer it than being called Char.

"Celebrating? why?"

"Got a gig we have" he said with a proud smile on his face.

"Thats great! No way! Paul didn't say!"

My brother comes into to room and i question him.

"Well i only just found out as Guigs stepped in the door" he said.

I'm happy for them. Even though its a small gig in the local pub for little pay i know it means a
lot to them.

"We're gonna knock those pricks in the pub dead 'ard. Are you gonna come?"

"I might" i say with a smirk.

"And you could get some beers with us after?" Guigs suggested.

"Sound"