Love

Ralph loved Henry, they were best friends! They did everything together, never apart. There was something different about Ralph though. something new. He felt strange when he sat next to Henry, and when their shoulders touched ever so slightly.
He couldn't indulge in these feelings, he didn't know what they meant or why he was having them. All he knew is that whatever he is feeling is wrong.
It was too early to be thinking like this, he needed to get ready for school.
"Henry, wake up!!" Henry's mom irritatedly shouted. The red head boy payed no mind to the yelling woman outside his door. He snuggled back into his covers and closed his eyes.
Henry's mom bursts through the door "Henry, wake up now or I'm taking your comics away!". The boy groaned and groggily opened his eyes and got out of bed. Shuffling to the dresser to pick out his trade mark striped sweater.
They met up outside the school "ey Henry!" The red headed boys friend waved and ran up to him with a wide, toothy grin stretched across his face.
His face immediately changing from happy to a face of concern when he sees a bruise on the side of his best friends cheek.
"Henry, what's that?" He pointed to the splotchy purple and blue spot on Henry's face.
"Mum hit me again"
"Henry..."
Henry felt tears prick at the corners of his eyes. No. He's a big boy, not a cry baby like weeping William. He refuses to cry, especially in front of Ralph. Henry sucks back the tears and Carries on "it's fine Ralph, it didn't even hurt!" Henry felt a prick of pride when that came out of his mouth, but the truth is he cried after his mom smacked him.
Henry forced a proud smile to show his buddy he was fine. Ralph pats him on the shoulder "let's just go into the school" and gave a small smile.
The teacher rambles on, whatever she's saying isn't important enough for Ralph to care. Ralph catches himself in the act of staring at his best friends gentle, freckled face.
He was so beautiful, his brown eyes and reddish-brown, unruly hair. He couldn't help himself, he just had to stare, especially when the golden sunlight reflected off of his face. It looked brilliant, just brilliant.
They were sitting next to each other in science class, Ralph noticed Henry's hand on his own thigh, inches away from touching his own hand.
Oh how he wanted to hold his gentle hands, this must be love, but it can't be. It's mustn't be. It shouldn't be. But oh how he yearned to hold the red headed boy, to be able to call him his own. The bell rings to dismiss their last class and they both make their way to the school Gate.
They stand outside the school, in front of the old tree, whose leaves were already turned a mix of golden, red and yellow. The leaves fall between them from above and Ralph looks over at his dear friend. "Would you like to sleep over at my house tonight?" Henry grins.
"Yeah!" Ralph replies. They walk to Henry's house together and meet the house with loud shouting from inside. Henry looks away "mum and dad must be fighting again, let's go in through my window" they walk around the house to see the window was indeed left open all day.
"Bingo"
They make their way to the window and slip though. After they get in Henry's house Henry excitedly says "so what should we do now? Worm isn't going to be here since he's staying at my grandmas house today"
"Read some comics?"
"Yeah!!"
There they lay plastered on the floor reading their comics and Henry looks over at Ralph. He was so beautiful, he knows he shouldn't think like this. It's wrong. But oh how he wanted to stay with Ralph forever.
They talk over the yelling in the next door kitchen "hey Ralph"
"Yeah?" Ralph replies staring at his comic.
"Nothing"
Ralph looks up at Henry skeptically and his face scrunches up "nothing my arse, what's up Henry?"
Henry pauses for a moment, wondering if he really wants to say to him what he want to. "Don't ever leave me. Okay?"
Ralph sets down the comic and looks at Henry.
"W-well— don't ever leave me alone with worm I mean! It would be so boring and obnoxious!" Henry tries to cover up his sadness.
Ralph looks at Henry deeply "Henry"
He takes Henry's hands in his own "Henry I promise I will never leave you"
Henry's cheeks turn a light pink as they look at each other.
Their fingers slide together and intertwine, and Henry lays his head on Ralph's shoulder and Ralph starts to caress his untamed hair.
"I promise"