When the World Caves In

Marc laid in bed alone, constantly looking over at the empty spot next to him. You hadn't come home that night after Khonshu asked to use you for a "special mission".

All he told Marc was that you were to arrive in Cairo by yourself the morning before. He sat up trying to keep his mind off of the fact that you could very well be in danger. The rubix cube could only do so much.

Marc? You don't reckon that we should go to Cairo too? He heard Steven say nervously.

Looking over at the fish tank, he could see Steven staring at him.

"No. The bird said that we have to stay in London. Unfortunately, we just have to wait." He said sharply. Marc knew that came out a little too rough. "Sorry, just.. anxious."

S'alright, mate. Steven said. He's protecting them at least, yeah?

"He promised that. Never know with him." Marc replied

We just have to wait like you said. Steven said before disappearing. Now Marc felt alone. He was about to go crazy if he couldn't hold you soon.

Just as he was about to get up and do something productive, Marc heard a thump against the front door. It wasn't anything unusual, since they all lived in a shady area. He just had to be sure someone wasn't trying to break in.

Grabbing a knife from the kitchen, he walked over slowly to the door and opened it suddenly. There was no one standing directly in front of him until he looked down. On the floor, your body was slumped over covered in bruises and blood stained your jeans and shirt.

This threw Marc into a panic. Not just Marc, but Steven and Jake too.

"Baby. Baby!" He fell on the ground and picked your shoulders up. "Baby! Wake up, Sweetheart!"

He looked around to see if anyone happened to be in the hallway. When he noticed it was just the both of you, he picked you up and took you inside.

He laid you on your shared bed and he began to undress you and searched for open wounds, and to check how bad the damage was. While he was running around you began to come to. You were slightly confused when you realized where you were.

"Marc?" You whimpered weakly. "Steven? Jake?"

When Marc had heard your plea for them in the bathroom, he rushed over to you.

"Baby, it's okay. We're here, It's okay." He grabbed your face as you began to sob "What happened, y/n? You have to tell me where it hurts."

"The mission. There were too many" You weeped. This broke their heart. Why the fuck did Khonshu make you do this alone.

Marc stood up, and began screaming.

"Khonshu! You piece of shit bird! Where are you!" He yelled towards the ceiling. A black cloud appeared in the corner of the living area and then a figure was seated on the lounge chair.

Marc Spector, I do not appreciate being spoken to in such a manner! You hear the figure say. You knew it was Khonshu speaking.

"You!" Marc ran up to the chair angrily. "You were supposed to protect them!"

I promised to protect no one! The bird replied. This mission was not under my jurisdiction. I was only the messenger.

"Not under your jurisdiction? What the hell is that supposed to mean?" He asked, throwing his arms into the air.

You sat up in the bed, holding an arm around your ribcage. Definitely a broken rib or two.