Chapter I - Mya Deyan

Chapter l

Out of all the things Mya was expecting tonight, it wasn't to carve watermelon. Apparently Walmart had been "all out of pumpkins" on October 22nd, when her friend, Oliver Barlowe, went shopping.

He wasn't the most responsible person and she thought anyone could guess that within 10 seconds of meeting him. He had wavy blonde hair that constantly fell in his bright blue eyes. He was your average height, maybe 5'10, though short compared to their other friends. He just loved to rub it in that she was slightly shorter than he was.

"Oliver!" she called him. 

He jerked his head up from the fire pit. "What's up?"

"Where are the carving tools?" she asked.

He turned his head back and forth until he pointed to the tools lying near our hot chocolate table.

She shot him a thumbs-up. "Thank you!"

He nodded and brushed her aside as he went back to the pit.

She walked over to the table and scooped up the tools, thinking about how the Celtics would be disappointed in them for using watermelons instead of pumpkins.

They were in a pavilion in middle of nowhere. There were picnic tables arranged in rows with bathrooms near the black gates. There were no walls, which was nice during the day, but creeped her out at night. The place was old, and said to be haunted, but did anyone believe that story? No.

 No one else dared to even go near it, but it wasn't that scary at all to be quite honest. Sure, the tall trees that loomed over the pavilion were a bit menacing, but with Monster Mash playing, it was a familiar place. Some of them wore their Halloween costumes, but she didn't.

She set the tools down and dug a hair tie out of her pocket. Her dark hair was cut in a short bob, so it was just barely long enough to be pulled into a ponytail. Wisps of hair fell down and tickled her face. She brushed them aside and laid out the tools next to the "pumpkins".

Mya and Oliver were the only ones here, as we had ridden together and screamed Taylor Swift lyrics in the car. All Too Well (Taylor's Version) (10 minute version) is great. Anyway, it was 6:00 and people weren't expected until 6:30.

That's what she thought when someone slammed into her. She rubbed her shoulder and said, "watch out! I was- Daniel?"

Oliver's boyfriend, Daniel, had crashed into her.

"Sorry, Mya -" he panted, "I know I'm late." He looked up and noticed only the three of them were there.

"Am I?" he asked, checking his watch.

 "No, it starts at 6:30." She flicked her eyes to the almost broken clock and back to Daniel.

"Anyway, your bo-" She was shoved out of the way by Ollie, who ran to give Daniel a hug and kiss.

She crashed into the table and landed right on her ribs. The wind was knocked out of her lungs and a light pain stabbed her in the side. "I'm good. Don't worry, I forgive you." She said sarcastically through gritted teeth.

"I know. That's why I pushed you."

Daniel helped her up while she stuck out her tongue out at Oliver. Daniel was dark-skinned with green eyes and pale lips. He had curly dark hair and large glasses placed on his face. 

"Sorry again, Mya," he said. 

"Don't worry about it. It's not your fault, anyway," she replied. 

She playfully punched Oliver's shoulder and moved on to the pumpkin tools.