"We're still Humans"

pairing: Miguel O'Hara x Spider-Reader

synopsis: you get cold feet during a mission and end up disrupting a canon event, attracting Miguel's ire.

warnings/tags: angst (with happy ending), angry Miguel lashing out at you, talks on spider-society's purpose, an apologising Miguel, first kiss, very hot make out sesh, yes his fangs gets their little moment in the spotlight too, Miguel gets flustered, he curses in Spanish, empanadas used for comic relief

word count: 4,8 k.
-

It all happened within a minute .

Your watch bleeped, Lyla's holo popped up from the tiny monitor, the serious note in her usual chirpy tone put you on alert. "Incoming canon event, tread carefully Y/N."

It all happened within a minute ; all due to a sudden lack of lucidity on your part.

A couple of hundred feet from you, a child was crying, crouched on the ground, all alone in the middle of a ruinous road. A man in a cop uniform was running desperately toward him, clearly determined to save him. But he wouldn't make it. He couldn't. You knew it.

It all happened within a minute . Lyla's words were still resonating feebly in the back of your mind as you sprinted forward, swinging from hunks of dropped debris to falling wrecked cars, making your descent toward the two . You knew you shouldn't have. The captain was supposed to die. It was part of the canon and you were there to make sure the events took their course. You just couldn't stand by and see it happen, though. You tried to do it but this time something in you urged you to take action.

It all happened within a minute . You cautiously dropped the man on the ground, feet away from the chasm that had opened in the street only seconds after you had grabbed him and swung away to reach the kid.

The child cried quietly in his arms and he cradled him sweetly, cooing in his ear that everything was okay.

Everything was not okay, unfortunately. All the cheering people that were applauding your prowess clearly had no idea how that supposedly good deed, that temporary relief you gave them, could actually cost them everything. You didn't dare smile nor thank them as they congratulated you. You were already anticipating the drastic change that within a couple of seconds morphed the joyous cries into horrified screams.

You didn't even turn as you sensed the arachno-ship pierce through the atmosphere and land on a cleared area behind you. Spider-people jogged by you to reach the ever-expanding sinkhole that had opened in the middle of the street and that now threatened to suck the entire universe in, making every particle of it vanish completely.

You sensed it before you felt the hand lay on your shoulder and you turned around only to see the stern expression plastered on Jessica's face. She didn't need to say anything. You turned on your heels and quietly followed her to the ship; the dread of returning to the HQ after such a fiasco suddenly seized your whole body. As the shuttle hovered and started its departure, you did not even glance once at the disaster you had caused.

As you entered Miguel's lab, escorted by Jessica and Reilly, you felt the whole weight of what you had done crash down on you. You were not ready for the repercussions. And you were definitely not at all ready to see the disappointment on Miguel's face, not when you had spent months putting effort into earning his trust and respect. Could one mistake make it all crumble down?

You had proven your loyalty to the cause, time and time again, even receiving a couple of "good jobs" from Miguel and everyone knew how hard it was to accomplish that. You had felt fulfilled, every time you had returned from a mission and entered his lab to be welcomed by that lazy half-smile of his. It was the best reward you could ever receive. If only you could see it again now.