4: STEALING THE LIMELIGHT

"You're Grace." Felicia called as she entered the office of the Duke. The knights let her in, but their eyes throws disdainful looks aimed towards her. Yet she was already accustomed to what everyone thinks and how they give her the dirty look. She's not weak-hearted, unlike the original one.

"What are you doing here?" The Duke asked, he couldn't even look at her and hide the hatefulness of his tone while answering her. Felicia just wanted to scoff at him. This is beyond bullshit to blame the death of his wife solely to her when he twin was practically born after her. How endearing.

"I would like to report something." She said as she invited herself to sit down in the couch, despite not getting the response or permission for her to sit down. Who is he for her to respect and follow when he ignored her all through Felicia's life just because of a natural death by birth. 

She could feel the Duke's eyes looking- no, glaring at her as her back felt like it was being pricked with needles. This man, hatred is clearly evident, which is unfair. "Speak." The Duke, with an authorative tone commanded Felicia to speak. His voice tinged with coldness and detest.

"I would like to replace the head maid, which is the noble Mary, if i guess her name right..." Felicia said, pouring herself a tea because why not? She has to take care of herself if no one would do it. 

"Who?" The Duke asked, frowning. "And give me a reason why you want to expel her from giving you services? You should be glad someone is still serving you." The Duke said, not paying any attention towards her. He'd rather have to face the paper than to face the monster who killed his wife, no more no less than a monster.

"How come that there are other servant serving me? I do not see them every morning since the beginning." Felicia retorted, drinking her tea. She wanted to spit it out as it was really bitter, why do rich people drink tea? Do they not know coffee beans?

"What do you mean?" The Duke asked, stopping from what he was doing as he slowly looked up to face the back of Felicia who was busy making herself comfortable despite not receiving his permission to do things.

As expected of this child, who does nothing but make trouble.

"Mary is all i have. Which is very funny because she wouldn't even show up most of the times, except when the day requires me to face the Duke. The last time i appeared in front of you, she arrived with the rest of the maids, did me dirty by pushing, shoving, and pinching my body whenever things don't go well." She told him.

The Duke may not like her nor the things relating to her, but to have a servant acting all high and superior towards the daughter of the Duke is something brave enough to be pulled. The Duke hates those kinds of servants who thinks they can just do what they want.

How insolent.

"Ah, may I also add that I have received plenty of beatings from Mary as well? The Duke may be heartless towards me and I understand the looming hatred you have within your heart, but is this acceptable for you to just stare and watch as I am being treated badly with mere servants under your house? Such impertinence is being shown yet the Duke withheld no actions of ever stopping this complexity. What will people think if they know that the Duke let the maids act with such boldness? What might become of the Dukedom-"

Before she could even finish her words, the Duke threw his cup right into her direction but she swiftly turned her head to the other side to avoid getting hit. Seems like he didn't like the way words crawl out from her mouth, seeing that he's seething in anger, making her huff in satisfaction.

Who knew that the Duke can be easily riled up?

"Shut your damn mouth!" The Duke yelled as he glared at her while Felicia stood up, facing the Duke whose face red in anger. Ah, if she could just distort her face into a mocking expression just to show how much satisfaction his expression brings her. He would further seep into madness if her consciousness did, and it'll be difficult for her to save herself.