Chapter 1

The mid-morning sun was bright and warm as it shined down upon the rolling crests of Hyrule Field, the lush grass blowing along with the gentle breeze. This relaxing atmosphere was abruptly disrupted however as horse hooves thundered across it at a frightening speed. The Hero of Hyrule smirked slightly to himself as he rode his steed across the field, eager to finish his usual patrol and return to the castle, or more specifically, the princess. His loyal fairy companion, Proxi, flittered alongside Link as he traversed across the field, looking for any signs of trouble as Impa had instructed him to do. But as usual, there was no danger to be found aside from the usual harmless creatures, which the hero could clearly see as he surveyed the field from the top of a large hill.

"Cia's forces have been pretty quiet lately, huh?" Proxi asked Link as he stopped Epona on top of the hill to let her rest.

"Yeah..." the hero said with a somewhat bored frown as he looked across the land once more, still seeing no monsters whatsoever. "In fact, they've almost been too quiet..."

"You're not a little bored, are you, Link?" Proxi asked with a knowing laugh as she perched herself upon his shoulder.

"I guess I am just a little bit," Link said with a casual grin, though he couldn't help but sigh. "There hasn't been any real action in weeks. I know I should be thankful for the peace, but..."

The fairy nodded in understanding as he trailed off, however, before they could converse any further, a large shadow fell over both of them, catching their attention as the blue skies were clear of any clouds. Both Link and Proxi were quick to look up just as the shadow passed over them, only to see that it was no cloud, but rather a very large dragon, and a rather familiar looking one that that.

"Link..." Proxi whispered fearfully, her tiny body shivering as they both watched the dragon fly over them toward the west, thankfully not looking down to notice them.

"I know," the hero said, his tone serious as he gripped Epona's reigns tightly. "It's Volga..."

Link kept his glare focused on the dragon knight as he continued to fly across the field, his wide wings flapping at a noticeably quickened pace. The hero wasn't sure exactly what one of Cia's generals thought his was doing by so boldly venturing into Hylian territory, but whatever Volga's purpose was, it certainly couldn't be good.

"I wonder where he's going in such a hurry..." the hero mused suspiciously, turning his horse in the direction that the dragon knight was heading. "Let's go find out."

"Are you sure about that, Link?" Proxi asked with uncertainty as she came to fly in front of her companion's face. "You know how strong Volga is. It might not be a good idea to take him on all by yourself. Maybe we should head back to the castle and get some help first."

"But if we don't hurry then we'll lose him," Link protested, already nudging Epona's sides to get her into a gallop. "Now, let's go!"

Though the fairy wanted to try to hold the hero back from such a risky plan, but she knew how stubborn he was when it came to things like this. And so she relented with a sigh as she followed him closely as he sped his horse across the field, making sure to stay a safe distance behind Volga as he continued to soar high above, though still remaining close enough so that he could still be easily followed. Even though Link knew he should have heeded Proxi's advice, he still continued his pursuit, knowing from his previous encounters and battles with Volga that he certainly couldn't be up to any good as long as he was in Cia's employ. The hero had been presented with a rare opportunity to possibly take the dragon knight down in a one-on-one battle, and he knew that if he were to come out the victor of such an arduous battle, then he would certainly be showered with praise and honor for his courageous heroism.