Reflection

The water of the nearby pool reflected the late afternoon sun, painting a mesmerising pattern on the inside of their parasol. Diana allowed her thoughts to flow freely while she watched the ripples and waves dance on the bright yellow canvas. The alternative would've been to sit up and watch him as he effortlessly cut through the water, and she couldn't do that.

They weren't in Miami to pose as newly-weds. A couple that had been together for the better part of two decades wouldn't be that focused on each other, the novelty would've worn off long ago–even the novelty of droplets of water glistening like rhinestones on 47's bare torso and the smooth work of his strong muscles under wet skin.

Diana sat up with a sigh. This wasn't working. She shouldn't fantasize about him, especially not while they were sharing a room and a bed for at least two weeks.

She'd been looking forward to this undercover mission. Scheduling their arrival more than a week before the target was due to check in had sounded like a good idea, back when she'd been at her desk and 47 had been far away on the other side of her computer screen, on the other end of her earpiece. She'd underestimated the temptation, the desire. Only seeing him through surveillance cameras had been bad, but lying awake right next to him was worse. She still couldn't have him.

Diana made her way over to the pool bar, to order another one of those colourful cocktails she knew she shouldn't allow herself too many of. Her inhibition was the only thing keeping their fragile friendship safe.

"I'll have the same."

Diana almost flinched, but managed to flash a hopefully not too guilty looking smile at him. He was even more gorgeous from up close, and it was all too tempting to reach out and touch his muscular arm or his abs, just to find out whether his skin was hot or cold after half an hour in the water.

Of course he noticed her staring despite her dark sunglasses; the way he cocked his head and all but grinned at her made that clear. At least he didn't comment on it. Perhaps he thought she was simply playing her role, but it was unlikely. He was too good at reading people.

"Almost time to head back," he said before taking a long sip from his Blue Hawaiian, licking his lips while placing his cocktail glass right next to hers. "You'll love the restaurant I picked for tonight. Very... intimate."

If she hadn't known better, she would've thought he was playing with her, trying to get a reaction out of her. It was unlikely, though. He probably wasn't even aware that her infatuation wasn't just for show.

When he placed his arm around her shoulder on their way back to their sun loungers, she finally got an answer to her unasked question. His skin was hot despite the cool water. Instinctively, she leaned into him, daring to sling her own arm around his waist, letting her hand rest just high enough on his hip for her thumb to touch the bare skin above his swimming trunks' waistband.

This was only their second day in this hotel, and she was already making everything worse than she would've ever imagined. How was she supposed to go back to watching him through grainy surveillance footage after knowing what it felt like to almost be in his arms?

Perhaps the solution wasn't to avoid it, but lean into it just like she was leaning into his touch. This was most likely her only chance to get her fill, unless the ICA decided to send them on another undercover mission in the future. She had two weeks to say outrageous things like 'I love you' and file away the memory of every single time he replied with 'I love you too'; two weeks for all the innocent and sweet displays of affection while they were in public, and for daydreaming about more while they were alone.

It was her own fault, really. She shouldn't have fallen in love with someone who couldn't love her back. The soft kiss he pressed against her temple before he let go of her shoulder to pick up both their beach bags was deceiving. It was for show, just like everything else, but it almost felt as if he meant it.

Without his body heat around her, Diana shivered despite the warm sun rays of the on her back. This was nothing compared to how it'd feel to go back to normal once the mission was over, she knew it. But still...

47 smiled at her while he swiped the key card to their room. Nobody else was around to witness it. Force of habit, perhaps. He entered the room first to check if anyone had been in there while they were at the pool, and she followed shortly after he signalled that nothing had been tampered with.

It was cool and dark in there, thanks to the blinds they kept closed at all times. She switched on the lights and placed her sunglasses on the vanity table. No more hiding.

They escaped the awkwardness of being alone together by taking turns taking a shower. In another life, they would've showered together. In this life, listening to the stream of water that touched his body was all she could hope for. It left her longing for more, but everything did. Her cover identity had all the real Diana couldn't dream to have. Two weeks, and it would disappear like the droplets on 47's skin had disappeared in the sun.

When he returned to the bedroom with nothing more but the towel around his waist, Diana was almost done with her hair and make-up for the night, which was a blessing; while he got dressed, she spent more time catching glimpses of him in the mirror than on her eyeliner. She knew she was crossing the line, but she simply couldn't take her eyes off him, and this was most likely a once in a lifetime opportunity. He wasn't used to sharing his hotel room yet, he probably just forgot that she could watch. If she was lucky, he wouldn't start changing his clothes in the bathroom before they were halfway though their first week. If she wasn't, he'd start later that night.

"May I?" he asked and reached for his eau de cologne on the vanity table. He took a step back before applying it, but the scent engulfed her either way.

Diana didn't mind. She'd already made a mental note to buy the exact same eau de cologne for herself once this pretend holiday way over. Of course she didn't plan on wearing it in public. No, it would sit on her night stand, equally helping her through lonely nights and making things worse. No-one would ever know.

"Alright, I'm done." Diana stood up and finished her work with two sprays of her own perfume. It was warmer than 47's, but they complemented each other and created an enticing aroma as they mixed in the cool air. Was this what their bed would smell like after a night of passion? A quick glance back in the mirror assured her that her make-up was successfully hiding her flushed cheeks.

"Lovely as always," 47 said in a low voice after letting his eyes roam over her face and her cocktail dress. He wasn't smiling, why would he, without any witnesses to play this role for, but there was a warmth in his voice that normally wasn't there.

She didn't know what to say, so she just nodded and stepped into her high heels. Intimate restaurant or not, a dinner among people meant she could look forward to more displays of affection and gentle compliments.

47 returned her smile when their eyes met in the mirror.