Intruders

A world ruled by misery.
Her mother was complaining again. Judy watched as tears flew down her face as her complains turned into frustration into anger and again to complains. The circle was closed, now she'd spend hours in it. Judy left the apartment; it was almost past Second (= Time Zone between 6-7:59 AM).
She needed to buy herself breakfast.
She ran up to the vending machine outside the city's main building. The machine only showed a message saying, 'sold out'. Again, a day without food. But she didn't mind. She felt more comfortable when her stomach was empty. Her throat on the other hand was making her feel uncomfortable. Judy ran up to a fountain and dipped her hands into the dirty water. After a deep sip she coughed.
"Judy, I have something to say", a voice appeared behind her. She turned around, with a disgusted expression on her face. Two guys were standing behind her, one with his hand on his head, and the other with his hands in his pockets. "Kiah, Oscar". Kiah spoke up again; "I hate this shit. She keeps bringing up my past mistakes, who even cares about that anymore. She is also getting more and more expensive with all her products. A face full of make up is not what I'm after you know!" Judy looked at the two guys. Kiah's girlfriend was obsessed with expensive things. She also was full of double standards. She could cheat as much as she wanted, but as soon as Kiah got another girl pregnant, she made him pay her a massive amount of money. Oscar looked at his brother with a similar disgusted look.
The three kept walking. They had school they had to attend to. Right before entering the school a girl vomiting on the side got Judy's shoe. "HEY! You stupid bitch! Watching where you're vomiting around would be helpful you know!" Judy swung at her face. She grabbed the girl's hair and pushed her face against her shoe. "Lick it off", she ordered. The girl, still drunk or high from whatever she was doing, pulled out her tongue and started licking Judy's shoes clean. Oscar was already walking away but Kiah stayed to watch. After her shoe was clean Judy kicked the girls head away from herself.
The two entered the classroom. The teacher was busy screaming at two guys, they were smirking. Judy sat down and Kiah walked towards his girlfriend. This was one of the last days of school before they'd finally get their jobs and could work. They'd be assigned a workplace today. Judy gently placed her head on her arm, leaning against the table. She was bored. The last time she learned something in school was 4 years ago. That was when everybody still has classes like literature and history. After that it was purely useless subjects. She didn't even know all their names, only that they "taught" how to dress richer than you are and what all the rich celebrities do.
"Ok so class, listen up. These are your papers. You remember what they do right? We had this last year! The government chooses jobs for you, and you will have to follow them if you like it or not. Just saying again for the idiots". She looked directly into one of the student's eyes. He looked offended and spit on the floor in front of her. "Come pick them up when I read out your name".
She started reading names and throwing the pages on the floor which those students who cared enough picked up. When it was Judy's turn, she picked up her paper and her mouth dropped immediately.
"Agent of the outside – Judy Roovers".
The profession of an Outside-Agent wasn't covered for years. Her job would be an Outside-Police. Only every five years Agents would be chosen. Judy hit her hand on her head, she was frustrated. Anything would've been fine, why this?
Agents made sure the society stayed stable. After the industrial revolution humans started to change. Eventually the human society was completely divided into two parts. The rulers and the common volk. The worst part is that it happened automatically, nobody intended it. The rich became richer, and the poor stayed poor. Eventually the common volk got used to negativity. They became used to complaining and victimizing themselves. They were addicted and afraid of improvement. Nobody wanted to raise a voice, nobody wanted to make the effort. Society looked like it was at its end, but the people held the thought as comfortable. They were happy that their actions didn't matter, they had nothing to lose. They had done "nothing wrong" and everybody else is fault. The thought of being uncomfortable had become the new comfortable the people envied. This circle continued and was impossible to break. And nobody wanted to break it.
That's why Agents aren't a common thing, only a fraction of each City, pretty small. Nobody had to make sure because the people run themselves into the society's rules automatically.
The Cities were just large camps surrounded by a barrier. A lot of Cities existed, even with elder names of a hundred years ago.
Judy took out her phone and texted her mother. She would not be surprised; Judy had already made it clear she'd be fine with any profession. There you have it, the consequences of her own action.