Predictions and Promises

John leaned against Sherlock as he relayed his deductions to an exhausted Inspector Lestrade. They had been working this case for days and it was safe to assume that they all had gotten little to no sleep in the past few hours. As Sherlock wrapped up with Lestrade he gathered John in his arms and leaned in to whisper in the shorter man's ear. "Dinner?"

John smiled and nodded, pecking his lips against Sherlock's. "What do you have in mind?"

The consulting detective took John's hand and led him out of Scotland Yard and begun to flag down a taxi. "Chinese alright?"

John nodded again, "Mmm, yes." Smiling when he was reminded of their first case together. 

Throughout dinner, John watched from behind his menu as Sherlock became increasingly fidgety. He had to bite back a laugh when Sherlock knocked over his water glass and cursed under his breath. They continued to eat, hungrily picking at dim sum with their chopsticks. John listened intently as Sherlock recited his deductions, interrupting occasionally with his usual "fantastic" and "amazing" in order to see the bright smile that only he could elicit. When they had finished their dinner, and the waiter came round with a platter of fortune cookies, Sherlock smiled and handed John a cookie. "I'd attempt to predict the fortune, but I believe that would ruin the surprise." Quirking his brow, John cracked open the cookie and gasped as a slender silver ring fell into his hand. The fortune was four breathtaking words written in Sherlock's elegant handwriting.

Will you marry me?

John brought his hand to his mouth as tears fell from his eyes. He looked up at Sherlock and nodded, letting out an embarrassing noise that Sherlock took as a "yes" and pulled his John in for another kiss.