Chapter 1

It was quarter after one when we pulled into the DX station. It's my sixteenth birthday, and we've been joyriding around in my brand-new Cadillac all morning. Well, technically my birthday was Wednesday. Today's my party, but it's all the same. It's all about me, the way it should be.

Tessa looks in the mirror to make sure her makeup is still perfect. The station isn't exactly on our side of town, but they have the cutest attendants. Going a little out of the way to get that million-dollar smile from the Curtis boy is well worth it. He's probably the biggest flirt in Oklahoma. If talking game was an Olympic sport, he'd take home the gold. Not that I keep up with the goings-on of greasers, but I noticed he didn't come back to school this year. Rumor is since his Momma and Daddy died his brother made him drop out. Told him to get a full-time job to pay the bills, or he would ship him off. Now neither of them gets to go to college. It's a shame.

Unfortunately, our blonde-haired hunk wasn't who came ambling to the car. Tessa made no effort to hide her disappointment. The Curtis boy's counterpart wasn't bad looking. Under all that grease and motor oil you could call him handsome. Maybe, if he'd wipe that sour puss look off his face. I don't think I've ever seen him with less than a scowl, let alone a smile. Then again, he's normally tinkering in the garage, all the attention is on Mr. Hollywood. I'm not sure many pay him much mind, but boy could the two of them really be trouble if Grumpy learned to relax a little.

Soon Tessa flung the door open, "I'm gonna get us a couple cokes." She said, a wild grin overtaking her features. Then she was off inside to join the gaggle of swooning girls. I knew it wouldn't take her long; she'd push right to the front. Tessa Birmingham didn't wait her turn, she took what she wanted when she wanted it. We all did. When you have a notable last name and the money to back it up the world is your oyster.

"Fill it up, please." I turned my attention back to the attendant. Before I could even think to stop, my face scrunched up at just how dirty his hands were. He'd attempted to wipe them off on a rag hanging out from his pocket, though it didn't do much. It wasn't really intentional, and he must have thought the look was meant for him specifically because the lines between his eyebrows only deepened. It wasn't exactly, I just wasn't too keen on the fact his grubby hands were about to dirty up my brand-new car. He muttered a response and started pumping. I didn't bother to correct his assumption. If he wanted to think the worst, that was his problem.

Through the front windows, I could see Tessa leaning almost across the counter, twirling a strand of brunette hair around her finger. If she leaned any farther they'd be nose to nose. She was eating up whatever line he was selling, or maybe it was the other way around. The likelihood of her talking her way into two free cokes was high. It's not that she didn't have the money, she simply likes to see how much she can get away with. You'd be surprised how much batting your eyelashes and feigning innocence will get you. We've long since mastered that skill.

A grumbled total grabbed my attention. I pulled the money out of my purse and an extra five, "Keep the change." It wasn't an apology, to be clear. Seeing as it's my birthday I'm feeling generous. Plus, Daddy always said the best way to make sure you're taken care of is to tip.

There was no smile or soften to his permanent scowl, but he did give a quick, "Thanks," Before shoving the money in his pocket and moving on.

"Ow, Dani," I'm not sure if the way Tessa managed to stretch those two words into twice as many syllables was impressive or pathetic. I was sure that if she kept whining I was going to whack her in the head with this curling iron.

"Hush up, or you can do it yourself." It was an empty threat but still earned a huff. Didn't matter how gentle you were Tessa whined worse than a child getting her hair done. You'd think she'd do it herself, but she always wanted someone to do it for her. Claimed she loved having people do her hair. After years of practice, I tuned her out easily. Sometimes I'll give her hair a little extra tug so she has something to whine about.